The Unveiling + Time Lapse

This is one of our regularly blooming hibiscus. Since acquiring my A7RIII I’ve been experimenting with the time lapse feature and have captured a number of buds opening. This is the best effort so far. Click here to see the complete video. All comments welcome. >=))>

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Sony A7RIII
Sony 24-105G @ 105mm
ISO 400, 1/125 @ f11

1 Like

The time lapse video is fun to watch and the final stage gives you a good image too. Amazing what cameras can do these days. Not so sure about the semi-pano crop. Keep those videos coming!

1 Like

Another gorgeous image and an amazing time lapse. What is the time period covered? I love the DOF management you always get, with the OOF areas being a soft asset rather than a distraction.

My only nit is the tangent between the stigma and the edge of the back petal.

1 Like

Diane: This was about 3 hours altogether with one shot every 30 seconds. The posted still is a crop of one of the images toward the end.

1 Like

Wow, Bill, the time-lapse is really fun. I have been meaning to use it as well, but just never seem to get around to it. Can you talk about how you create the video itself? What software do you use etc.

The single image you chose is a good one, but agree about the convergence of the petal and the … stigma? stamens? pistils? whatever that flower part is. For a flora moderator I sure am uneducated.

1 Like

Kris: I’m using the Sony Edge software to assemble the videos. I have not figured a way to do it in Lightroom or PS. I’m still experimenting. Right now I’m still doing all my capture in full resolution RAW so it takes awhile for the program to do whatever processing it does and then compress the file into a manageable video format. I think this video is about 17mb so there’s a whole lot of compressing going on. I’m going to try to shoot in lower resolution RAW or JPEG and see how the results compare. I agree about the position of the pistils. There was no way to predict the position of the fully bloomed flower when lining up the bud. You kind of have to guess where it will end up. I did one with another hibiscus and as it opened it eventually drooped out of the frame. I’ve learned to take a wider view to begin with now. It’s a fun exercise and I’m looking forward to trying it with some landscape sequences if I can catch an approaching storm or fleeting clouds.>=))>

1 Like

I had fun doing some time lapses way back early in the century, but never managed anything interesting and got away from it. I actually don’t even remember the software I used, as it was SO many computers ago. I was curious and looked around the Internet and found this interesting link:

And now I remember I used Quicktime.

1 Like

How cool, thanks Diane. I’ll check it out. Of course I have DaVinci Resolve, too, so that probably could manage a measly time lapse, lol!

1 Like