Their back.

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

On April 3 the Ospreys had just started to show up and this Osprey was the only one to come with in range to photograph.
Thank you for stopping by.
Peter

Specific Feedback

any

Technical Details

Canon R5, Canon 100-500m & 1.4ext, f10, 700mm, +.7EV, 1/1600, ISO 1600 and cropped 50 % into a 16 by 9. Adjusted the highlights, vibrancy and sky., in DXO PhotoLab 6. I all used Topaz Sharpen Ai to reduce some motion blur.

Hello! Jealous that they are back in your area. I am seeing reports of osprey locally but the nest I found last year is gone so searching out where to find them now. Good technique to capture one in focus flying towards you! I will continue to practice on gulls while waiting for osprey.

Hi Peter, a fine in flight pose and I like the head turn giving us a nice look at the eye. Sky color looks good to me. Details look good in enlarged image (I think in the largest size start to show the size of the crop but that’s a pretty big file size). Nice catch.

Hi Robena & Allen
What the saying “you need a bigger boat” or in my case a bigger lens, 80% of my shots around 500mm to 700mm and 50% crop. In this case I had to use Topaz Sharpen AI to reduce some motion blur and as always there are trade off.
Thank you the comments.
Peter

1 Like

Very nice, Peter. With the bird looking at you and the plain blue sky, cropping in to fill the frame works well. The detail will look fine at any reasonable viewing distance.

Lucky you to get such a nice shot! Yesterday, I actually was pulling up to the lake when I saw an Osprey dive into the water and catch a rather large fish! He flew away while my camera gear was still safely zipped in my pack! I was disappointed but still happy to have seen such a cool slice of nature!

Cool catch!! I should go looking for them in my area – they had gotten scarce in the last several years and other things competed for the time.

I need to go look for them around my area! Great incoming perspective. You caught the head turn which is nice!

Hi Dennis, Kristal, Diane & Mark
Thank you for the comments. The Ospreys are reclaiming their nest and pairing up for the coming season.
Peter