Timeless

This image comes from an early morning hike to a cliffside where I found this beautiful dry grass moving with the slight breeze. As the sun was rising, dark rain clouds from the sea began to move inland. If you look closely you can notice the vast stretch of coastline from my state. The dried up grass was actually slopping downwards to the end of the cliffside, so the sunlight casted this beautiful warm glow over it.

EXIF: 1/200 ISO 560 f8 at 15mm NIKON D7200
I like this image for its pleasing foreground, a very definitive mid ground of the silhouette of palm trees and a the vast coast line in the background with the beautiful warm glow. The darker clouds on the right side and sea balance the composition the way I see it.

I would like to know your thoughts on the same. Does the composition balance out and how is the overall look of the image?

2 Likes

Beautiful photo! It seems very balanced to me. My small subjective nit would be to crop out just a bit of the grass in the foreground.

1 Like

The scene is at once soft and striking With soft lines of clouds, sea and grass converging. The coconut palms against the sea is a striking element. Even with the fast shutter stopping the motion of the grass it is apparent that it is in motion.
At the risk of making it less quiet, I burned areas of the grass To make it less atonal, and to accentuate the sweep from left grass to the sun.
The brightness of the sky in the upper left allowed my eye to wander off the frame, so I burned and saturated a bit.
I also brushed a little saturation into some threads of the right side sky and sea to see how that would look.
Really you have a fine sensitive image here. Is this in India? What state?

2 Likes

Very nicely done Simeon. I love the mood of this image. The warm grass and warm colors in the sky contrast nicely against the cooler tones in the water and sky. The processing looks right on the money to me. In terms of composition, I love how the shape of the grass sweeps your eye into the row of trees. Take that row of trees away, and this image is nowhere near as dynamic, those trees take this image up a notch.

No nits from me, I’m enjoying this very much as presented.

2 Likes

Gorgeous Picture Simeon. I like your original post best and find the balance of colour striking without being in anyway overpowering.

1 Like

Thanks a ton for the insightful editing changes. I will definitely improve the areas mentioned. @Dick_Knudson Yes, it is in India. I live in the tiniest state called Goa and it offers some beautiful coastline.

Thank you @Ed_McGuirk . Glad you like it and I appreciate the detailed review.

Simeon,
I also prefer your original post. No nits or suggested improvements from me, beautiful work!