Tiny Bubbles 2

Frozen ice bubbles in a stream in Massachusetts.

This is a followup to a recent post, where I showed a wider view of these bubbles frozen in the ice. Some folks had asked for a closer view, and here it is. For this image I actually stepped into the partially frozen stream to a get a tighter view on the bubbles.

I think my cold, wet feet were worth it in the end though :cold_face:

Specific Feedback Requested

any critique or comments are welcome

Technical Details

Is this a composite: Yes
Canon 5D MK4, Canon 70-200 mm lens, at 200mm, ISO 100, 1/4 sec at f16

Focus Stacked using Helicon Focus Software

1 Like

Yes, this is a stronger composition. I like that blue color you’ve used throughout. I also like how you can see through circles to those below, how bubbles envelop one another. Actually, I love this image. Here is my take on it, with the royal treatment (white frame):

2 Likes

Hey @Ed_McGuirk,

No doubt it was worth cold feet. :grin:
I love this kind of image, the simple and yet so immense detail and information can make wonder in the image a lot a time.

The only change i could consider would be desaturate the red’s on that brown spot (a rock or piece of wood frozen), just a bit of OCD ahah.

Another really good abstract. I really like @Igor_Doncov 's crop, but the original also works well.

This is a stronger composition that your first image Ed. I’m really loving this one as it’s more cohesive. If I remember correctly, your last image had a vertical band/crack going through the right portion of the frame that distracted just a tiny bit but this one is nearly perfect. I like Igor’s crop quite a bit but it leaves out my favorite park of the image, the upper left corner grouping of small dark spots that balance the spots in the middle of the frame and also the spots on the far right of the frame. This also reminds me of some of my recent images before I cleaned all the sensor dust spots! LOL

This pattern of bubbles is really appealing, Ed. The tiny black spots and the blue/white bubbles of different sizes is kind of captivating.
I’m curious about the focus stacking. Surprised that it was needed, but maybe due to the depth of some of the bubbles from the water’s surface?
Anyway, this is a very beautiful abstract.

Definitely worth cold wet feet, Ed! This is amazing; so many bubbles with varying shapes and sizes for the eye to enjoy and I love the blues as they fit the mood perfectly. This would make for one mind bender of a puzzle. Beautifully done.

@Igor_Doncov @Harley_Goldman @Ed_Lowe @João_Ferrão @Mark_Muller @David_Haynes
thank you all for your comments, I appreciate your input.

Igor, I just love what you did with the crop (and the frame). I like to standardize my images to just 3:2, to have all images look the same on my website, and for print (I swap images in and out of frames at home for rotation). But I’ve fallen into the trap of not considering other creative possibilities. The crop you used here is just so much stronger, thank you for doing the rework, and getting me thinking.

David, the ULC is one of my favorite parts of the image, and it’s what attracted me to this section of the ice while shooting. But here is another riff on Igor’s cropping / aspect ratio idea that also has some merit I think. I also gave it Igor’s royal treatment with a frame.

1 Like