Tools of an expert hunter

An Osprey hovers before landing on the nest. I was able to observe the birds making several fishing forays in this wetland sanctuary in Maryland. The Osprey is perfectly designed for its task.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback is welcome. In my bird photography, I am trying to highlight some unique aspects of birds in flight. I like to get in close and don’t always show the whole bird - trying to focus on a specific aspect - tell a story. Working on these type of compositions. Feedback on this approach welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Olympus 300mm f4 pro lens, OMD EM1 Mark II, Auto ISO 3200, F 8, 1/2000. Handheld

# Billreichphoto
1 Like

These guys need no fishing pole or bait. They truly are prolific fish nabbers. This is really a wonderful profile of this osprey… :+1:

EDIT: All good points on the tightness. I took 5 minutes and had not used PS in months as a result of some personal down time issues.
Anyway, with some canvas add and Content Aware the blurred BG made an easy extension left side and bottom. One could easily extend more obviously.
Just a thought.

A very compelling, powerful image. I understand the desire to highlight some unique aspects and in this case, getting in tight. That said, for me it is just too tight. Even if there were just more room on the left, I think it would improve the image.

1 Like

An interesting shot but I agree with Keith about the crop. On my calibrated monitor, I see a very faint blue cast which could easily be removed with decreasing blue saturatilon a bit.

1 Like

Really nice capture of this osprey with fine details - love those talons. The open beak is nice too. Agree on loosening up the crop some.

1 Like

Hi Bill
The Osprey’s detail and coloring look correct on my IMac. It is always a tossup on going wide, very tight of some were in-between. In this case I would like to move the framing over to the left. The size of this Osprey is fine. The framing shift would show a little less of the bird body and have more air in front of it’s beak. I like the over all look.
Peter

1 Like

A very fine image that is even better with Paul’s edit. Additional room on the left: Perhaps a bit more?

1 Like

Paul, Thanks for the feedback and thanks to all who responded. The common theme was to extend the crop to leave more space on the left. I agree. This really improves the image - gives the bird more room to move - and doesn’t lessen the emphasis on the beak and talons. Many thanks to you and others. Bill

1 Like

Oh my!! I love portraits and getting in this close to an Osprey with this much IQ is wonderful! I agree about a bit more on the left, and another calibrated monitor sees the cyan. Just needs a tweak to fix it.

I love those feet and claws, and always think they could pick up a basketball with one foot.

Diane, Thank you for your comments and I appreciate the suggestions from you and others about more space on the left - it really helps the image. I’ll keep an eye out for any basketball carrying Ospreys :slight_smile: