Transient Light Findhorn

Findhorn Bay, Moray, Scotland

My personal favorite image from this amazing early Spring evening where traces of snow can still be seen on the mountains across the Moray Firth towards Inverness. Fierce beams of low angle sunlight spewed from beneath dense grey clouds and lit the gable end wood paneling on the colourful but very basic beach huts recently installed at Findhorn bay, such that they shone and glittered like burnished gold in the grazing sunset light. Similarly it affected the pale straw coloured dune grass igniting just the tips of each randomly angled blade. A true transient light moment that surpassed all my hopes and expectations and a joy to behold.

Fuji GFX50S, GF 32-64mm zoom, 2 stop reverse Grad, polariser used as a 2 stop ND filter.

3 Likes

Truly lovely light, Ian. The colors in the sky seem to mimic the colors in the huts. Also the angle of the clouds and huts pull my eyes off into the very far distance. Such as quite, soft scene. Very nicely seen, captured and executed.

Perfection. The light and colors are astounding. The light on the pointy tips of the grasses extending off into the background make for a wonderful texture.

Wonderful golden light Ian. The golden highlights on the grasses are wonderful too.

The light and clouds here are wonderful. The way the low light is hitting the huts and beach grass is just gorgeous. This is the kind of light that landscape photographers dream about, add that to a great composition, and you have an outstanding image here Ian.

[quote=“Ian_Cameron, post:1, topic:20800”]
…ed at Findhorn bay, such that they shone and glittered like burnished gold in the grazing sunset light. Similarly it affected the pale straw coloured dune grass igniting just the tips of each randomly angled blade. A true transient light moment that surpassed all my hopes and expectations and a joy to behold.Fuji GFX50S, GF 32-64mm zoom, 2 stop reverse Grad, polariser used as a 2 stop ND filter.

I looked at this one for quite a long time. The scene is very powerful and and your composition is spot on. The threatening sky and breaking white caps leave one feeling chilled, but the sun breaking on the huts holds promise of more pleasant days to come. The peaks of the huts running perfectly parallel to the horizon adds to symmetry and flow of the scene. I only wish that the foreground darks were brightened a tiny bit. A beautiful and captivating image that I would proudly display on my living room wall if it were mine. Well done!