Transitions

DSC07588

Motivated to post this by @EdMcgurik recent post of a wonderful textured transition image. Took this a few weeks ago but in my mind the colors were more important than the transitions at that time. The textures and transition zones in retrospect were also there. Posting a different version of the stump as well.

Specific Feedback Requested

Which version works better? Processing?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
88mm f/11 1/20 sec iso 400

Mario, it looks like you were dealing with the aftermath of termites, as opposed to my image of the unfinished business of beavers :grin:

I think the first image works very well, the variety of colors and textures creates an interesting mosaic. I especially like having the green section on the left, for me its what really drives the contrast here against the variety of yellow/oranges in the rest of the tree. I think your use of strong contrast works well in this image, it creates a very bold look. Nicely seen…

The first one is a great image, with the banded colors and textures. Only a minor nit, I would have filled the “hole” in the LLC.

I’m going to have to go with the second image on this one. There’s just a better sense of continuity in that one. In the first image the 4 layers of wood don’t go well together and I actually feel it’s busy. The right half feels so different from the left that you wonder why are they together. I’ve been trying to shoot stumps recently so perhaps I’m over sensitive to the issues.

Many thanks for the comments and suggestions @Ed_McGuirk @Ola_Jovall @Igor_Doncov .
Igor, I just posted a stump image recently taken. I find them so interesting for the process of aging.