Trona Dawn

Captured while facing West, dawn highlights some tufa spires in Trona Pinnacles, a National Natural Landmark in the Searles Lake Basin of the California Desert Conservation Area. Sky processed with a High Contrast Red filter to turn the blue sky black and streaking beams from an artificial light with a red gel filter behind the tufa row white. The foreground was processed with an infrared filter to make the reds white and the darker browns and shadows dark.

EF 28-70mm f2.8 @ 34mm; f/16, 1/60 sec, ISO 100; Evaluative metering; Auto WB

Bob, those pinnacles in Trona definitely have a otherworldly or moon surface look to them even in daylight color. But this B&W version really adds to that mysterious look and feel to the area. Nice work…:alien:

Wow, Bob! The beams of light across an alien landscape make for among the most dramatic images I have viewed in quite some time. That double light source had me stumped until I read your comment. From a nearby town I suppose? Whatever the source it’s most intriguing and has a fine moody appeal. Stanley Kubrick’s 2001 comes to mind.

Thank you Paul and Bill.

Definitely an otherworldly environment. Featured in the opening scene of the 1990 Kevin Costner film “Revenge.” I spent a few days in the area in early March this year. Anxious to return after the recent earthquakes. A lot of midday time to scout and plan photos and determine the best time for each shot. I was blessed with wonderful clouds on some days and bluebird skies on others. In the 3800 acres of the area there are more than 500 towers. Very few people there, maybe 4 vehicles besides mine. Only dirt tracks. No sizable towns nearby—Ridgecrest is nearest, but at least 20 miles west. There is a salt plant in Trona, 10 miles north, on the lake but only visible from the parking area near the entry road. I had the same questions about multiple light sources when viewing Trona images by Mitch Dobrowner until I realized he was shooting in infrared. Otherwise unlit red and green objects will look grey-white with IR. The light source for the sky was from lights pn my truck, parked on the other side of the pinnacles. Special high intensity lights, not highway lights.

Bob