Tulip Polar Tulip

Slightly brightened globally and added slight blur where petal meets the leaf in the BG, thanks Kris Smith and Stephen Stanton!

Original Below

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is a tulip on the closest Tulip Poplar tree to our porch, one end of the porch is about 9 ft. above the ground. The tulips go from a small bud to full bloom in a matter of 4 or 5 days. After they reach this stage they sort of “Fall Open” quickly and to the point where they don’t look very appealing.
This was a closed bud yesterday so today was my only chance to get a shot of one, especially since the rest are too far up in the tree.
This was a test shot of sorts, I’m testing out my 40 year old Vivitar 70-210 Manual Macro Focus Lens, I bought it new 40 years ago.
It’s not nearly as sharp as any of my newer lenses but it does seem to have a sort of retro look.
I’ve been seriously considering a new Sigma 100-400 C lens.

Specific Feedback

Mainly just overall appearance including focus, color, composition, etc.

Technical Details

A7RIV, Vivitar 70-210 Macro Focus Manual Lens at f8, 210mm, ISO 100, 1/4s, Lr, Ps, cloned out a few places where tree sap was running down the leaves, and darkened a couple of brighter areas in the BG.

1 Like

Wow!! I love these trees for their unusual blossoms! I think you got lovely colors and tonalities here and the leaves around the flower are the perfect frame!

I hope I haven’t missed the season here, but it’s usually in May — oh, wait, it’s almost May. I’d better go hunting.

Merv, a truly stunning portraiture of this blossom. I really like the softened light and the rendition this lens has provided here…a wonderful image… :sunglasses:

YES !!! All the green framing the tulip. The leaves really shine to me. VERY VERY Cool !!! Beautiful Photograph !!!

A wonderful image, Merv, the leaf veins leading right into the blossom really works . I think the lighter parts of the background and the blossom itself could benefit from more exposure on the highlights.

The large version is a must see. The lighting is wonderful and the position of the flower in the frame makes for a strong comp. I like this one as presented…Jim

OMG, did you really shoot this with an adapted Vivitar lens? I remember those from the years I worked in a camera shop. I remember how smooth they felt to zoom and focus and how hefty and solid they felt. How the plastic was almost glossy. Throwback city! I think it performed pretty well here. I like the overall tonalities although things seem a tiny bit dark. I wonder if you could soften the overlap of the flower and the leaf behind it. I can’t take my eyes off it. If you brighten the flower that might also be a nice touch. I’ve never seen one of these trees and the flower reminds me a bit of a hickory blossom although those are somewhat messier.

Sensational image, Merv. I love the soft, muted light, and the composition is perfect. Outstanding.

@Merv : This is stunning. I love the way the lighting and darkened three corners emphasize the unique flower . The diagonal of the open green petals point to the lighter section of the background. This image brings me back to an early apartment on the second floor of a house in Queens, NY where the Tulip tree blossomed right outside our window. The tree is a “Spring Experience.”

@Diane_Miller, @Paul_Breitkreuz, @Kris_Smith, @Gill_Vanderlip, @David_Bostock, @annlouiselyman, @Jim_Zablotny, @Stephen_Stanton.
Thank you all so very much for the wonderful words of encouragement!
I certainly didn’t expect a response like this when I posted it.
Thank you!! :slight_smile:

Thanks Stephen, I agree that it could benefit from a touch more brightness, mainly on the blossom. I increased the brightness globally so I hope that helped with BG highlights in the process.
Thank you for very much the suggestion! :slight_smile:

Thanks Kris, when I was first processing this I was wondering how to best handle the junction between the petal in the back and the leaf just behind it but in the end I just left it alone, your suggestion of softening it seemed like something that would work and to me it did.

I agree that it is just a bit too dark so I increased the brightness just a bit globally.
Let me know what you think of the transition between the petal and back leaf, and the overall brightness please.

On the subject of that old lens, I was going through some old gear wondering if I should make someone happy by selling all my old gear at a super low price, maybe sell it to someone wanting to test the waters with a manual 35mm film setup.
But then I got curious about using that 70-210 macro lens on my modern digital camera so I found an adapter on Amazon for $10 and bought it just for the heck of it.
That lens does seem to produce a slight retro look for some reason.
Anyway, I’ll probably still sell the lens and other stuff if I can find someone who really wants it.

Thank you very much for the suggestions! :slight_smile:

Rework version posted at the top.

Thanks again everyone! Much Appreciated! :slight_smile: