Turf War

Sony A77II
Minolta 200mm macro
ISO 1600, 1/1250 @ f8
This may not be everyone’s cup of tea but I would appreciate any input. I indulged myself with a trip to the Mercer Arboretum today. There were a number of good Flora subjects, especially in the tropical section that I’ll be posting but while snooping around I noticed a couple of Giant Swallowtails working over a stand of Pentas. While following one of them the other crashed the party and I got this frame with them appearing to fight over this one flower head. The image wasn’t sharp enough to post as a straight shot but I thought I would try to salvage it with some artistic filters and make some lemonade. All comments welcome. >=))>

2 Likes

Bill, I don’t think I ever saw two butterflies fight over a flower before! That is amazing, and I can see where you would want to try to salvage it. The painterly look helps.

This is a wonderful interpretation of these beautiful butterflies Bill. I do like the effect you’ve given them. Adds some motion and a bit of abstraction to the photo .

Bill, I think what you’ve done looks good. I have two thoughts. Can you tone down the brightest yellows in the upper combatant?, I also wonder about limiting the filter(s) to the bfs and flower. I think it might look good with a “normal” background. How fun to catch these two fighting. I’ve seen this happen in Tiger Swallowtails, but not where I could get a remotely decent shot.

Bill, This is a unique capture of two butterflies vying over the flower. I like the detail, yet wonder if it would be enhanced by showing more of the surrounding area. I also think that the noise might be reduced more. This is just a personal reaction to a fine composition as it is.