Twenty Five Seconds in Time

No jetty this time although I do have one more with it to post. This one was taken farther down the beach about 20 minutes before sunrise. The wind was blowing pretty good, but the longer SS smoothed out the water rather nicely and lent a sense of motion to the clouds. The scene has been simplified to the color of predawn light and the drama with the shapes of the clouds. Not sure how this will resonate with everyone so I thought I would throw it out there and see what you think.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D800, Nikon 17-35 @ 24 mm, f 18 @ 25 sec, ISO 100, three stops of GND filter, cable release & tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I like the purple / blue color here Ed, it creates a lot of mood. It’s a simple image, but it still tells a story about time of day at this place. The 25 second exposure has created some interesting effects in the clouds and water, this almost starts to look like the Intentional Camera Movement (ICM) images fro folks like Tony Sweet.

My only suggestion would be to dodge the dark blue band in the water at the horizon. it may have been there in real life, to my taste it looks to be an abrupt transition, and I would suggest trying to feather it somewhat.

Excellent, Ed. Simple, elegant composition with a beautiful mix of cool and warm tones. The dark band doesn’t bother me - I find the strong contrast on the horizon appealing.

Ed, I am not too fond of the dark band either. But I think this is a gorgeous minimalist take of the scene. If I can wish for something, I would like to see a little bit more at the bottom. The wave “line” is a little too close to the bottom edge for my taste but certainly not a deal breaker.

I like the motion in the sky and your minimalist approach. The dark band doesn’t bother me but I too would like to see a little more room at the bottom.

I like the concept here, and the execution is very pleasing indeed. I can imagine a whole series of 25 seconds in time in a variety of locations. Brilliant, really. The colors, the composition and transitions all look fabulous. I’d love to see more of these.
ML

Love this Ed! There’s just a simple timelessness to this that is so engaging. The softness of both the sea and the clouds, smoothed out by the long exposure contrast beautifully with the dark and very distinct horizon line. The nice colors are just an added bonus - and I especially like who they are reflecting lower right. Wonderful!

Lon

Ed, this kind of photo is extremely difficult to pull off successfully, but you’ve got an excellent one here. The moody blue is great and I like the patch of reflected light in LRC. My only small nit is the dark horizon. I would dodge that in.
:vulcan_salute: