Upper Ammonoosuc Falls

Here are a couple of images of Upper Ammonoosuc Falls taken during the NENP get together with my brother Mike, Ed McGuirk and Patricia Brundage. The falls only drop 8’ but they are particularly dangerous due to the whirlpool around the bottom. In fact several people have gotten trapped over the years and drowned. There was a light rain that particular day so I was very careful working my way out to the edge of the rock for these images. Anyway I was wondering if anyone had a preference for the vertical or the horizontal. As always thanks for taking a look and leaving a thought.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D800, Nikon 35-70 @ 48 mm, f 14 @ 1/10 sec, ISO 400, CPL which Ed graciously lent me as I left mine back in my vehicle, cable release & tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I’m on board for the horizontal, Ed. A great image IMHO. I like the flow through the pic a lot better and I enjoy the surrounding rocks which are showcased a bit more. To me, the vertical is a little too straight on.
:vulcan_salute::vulcan_salute::vulcan_salute::vulcan_salute:

I definitely prefer the horizontal, Ed. The way the curved rocks lead in from both the left and right create a more dynamic scene than just the waterfall portrait in the vertical. Your processing of the images looks great, i like the cooler WB here, it works well for these rocks. I also love the way the vegetation and lichen stands out on the big rock to the left, it adds a nice splash of color to the scene. and for the unusually high volume of water flow we had that day, you did a pretty good job of maintaining texture in the water. Nicely done…

Put me down for the horizontal as well. Nice shape to the water flow working its way through some beautiful rock. This turned out quite nice.

Ed, I also prefer the horizontal. Really nice work on the colors and wonderful detail in the rocks!

Well done!

Ed, The horizontal really does the trick for me. Absolutely wonderful image with great processing! The shutter speed worked great for the water and the texture and detail in the rocks is excellent. Really nice work!

The horizontal image is my favorite, as well. It has wonderful depth and gives nice clues to the lay of the land. The processing looks spot-on to me. This one of those spots where care must be taken to prevent an accident.

Nice job here, @Ed_Lowe.
-P

Many thanks guys @Michael_Lowe, @Ed_McGuirk, @Harley_Goldman, @Alan_Kreyger, @Nick_Bristol and @Preston_Birdwell; always appreciated. I too prefer the horizontal, but I always like to hear other photographer’s thoughts.

Ed,

Another vote for the horizontal. It just seems more fitting for the location and I really like the back to front flow (even though there’s still a good flow in the vertical…) I’m really liking the color and flow of the main waterfall.

No nits or suggestions. Wonderfully processed.

Sure looks like a dangerous area! I betcha those rocks are slippery!

Lon

Another vote for the horizontal. I would desaturate those greens mostly on the left. The focus should go to the falls and the greens are pulling the eye away from it. The color rendering of both the granite and the water is excellent.

Looks like you have a nice supportive group over there on the east coast. I think that’s great.