Varied Thrush II

The same bird and perch with a bit more perch showing and a different head turn. In this case I used Neat Image for noise reduction on the background and AI Clear for the bird and perch, which I’d selected and placed on a separate layer. I raised the exposure of the bird& perch globally and then dodged selected areas of the bird.

I used the method proposed by @Hank_Pennington in the recent Kingfisher post by @Allen_Sparks on the eye.

Finally, I cut a touch of canvas off the right and added even more on the left and a bit on top.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any processing anomalies? Anything else?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

How’s the lighting after all the playing with it?

Any pertinent technical details:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 324 mm, gimbal head mounted to blind, f/8, 1/500, iso 2000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Neat Image and AI clear for noise reduction. Topaz Detail for plumage detail enhancement.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Yes, I like this one. Well done…Jim

Excellent! Much better exposure and eye detail. Actually, on my iPad Pro, the plumage detail looks better than my asus monitor…

This is superb, Dennis. And your play with lighting is spot on for my taste. In total effect it’s like the most tasteful use of fill flash to create perfect natural light and reveal important details.

Very well done. The bird and perch really pop and you have captured a very nice pose.

I think this is lovely Dennis, an excellent high key image with great detail, well done!