Vesicular Basalt

Lava

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso 100, 16-35 at 35, f7.1, 1000th, A7R4, full frame

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

A wonderful subject for B&W, David. I love all the shapes, textures, and tones in this. I like how the large piece that is shaped so totally different is framed in with all the other lava pieces. Well seen, captured and presented. :+1: :+1:

I agree with Shirley, real nice B&W study in shapes and textures that works really well. I like the processing, with the vignette look. Tones look great to my eye, too.

David - This is an excellent B&W with top notch processing. I like how the darker rocks / lava surround the center piece. Wonderful textures and tones.

I’m a big fan of this image as well. The usage of light and dark to accentuate the main rock in the center is really well done. On that note: would it help to darken the highlights of the small lighter rock below and to the left of the large central rock? It might make a small difference I suspect.

This is cool - love the framing and texture. Well done. Are we viewing it from an angle? I’m experiencing a sense that I’m almost looking at it from the L. side of the image. Regadless, this is a very good photograph and the textures and patterns in the central stone are fun to explore. Thanks for sharing!

Excellent, David. Very intriguing image. Great choice for BW. Composition and processing look great to me.

The rock is in near vertical orientation.

Your suggestion regarding the highlight on the rock below is a good idea…

An intriguing intimate scene David, this is one of the most interesting rocks that I have seen in a long time. Your B&W processing looks great, it really draws all of the texture out of this scene. The vignetting you used here is also done very effectively, it really makes the center rock pop from the surrounding rocks. Really interesting image, thanks for sharing it with us.