Wall Abstract

It’s sibling with a different color :slight_smile:

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

What is your reaction to this image? How do you feel about the colors and forms you see.

Oooh, peeling paint! Don’t we all love peeling paint. I get a slightly downcast feeling from this, as if everything is flowing downward. The cool-ish palette adds to that feeling. (I may think of a better description after more thought .)

What is the coolest thing, though, is how the texture of the underlying wallpaper is showing through the paint. I had to study this for awhile to see that. It’s more apparent in the greener sibling (the version I prefer). Very cool!

Thank you Bonnie. Your version preference is important to know because I have other compositions and I want to make the colors similar. I made the new version last night and new always seems better when you create it.

Don’t know how much attention they will get in this corner of NPN however.

1 Like

Hi Igor, my initial reaction was a bit of confusion. What was I looking at? After looking at it for a while, I saw. I prefer the newer one with the different colors. It feels a bit less neon to me.

Cheers,
David

And yes, the Non-Nature area doesn’t get a lot of traffic or attention…

Hm. This is different for you, Igor. And yeah, non-nature doesn’t get a ton of love, but I’m here now and then because I shoot a fair amount of abandonment. Something like this - with layers of different tastes, lives and fashion makes me think of the passage of time and how short a scale that is when it comes to humans. I prefer the color separation in the second, but the actual colors in the first.

I saw this and was too busy to look closer but meant to come back. I always look at all the recent posts, not by category, but am often too rushed to look closely at all. If something looks intriguing I don’t care what category it is in.

I think this one is wonderful! I love to shoot subjects like this. All said above! I also like the more prominent texture and color separation in the second version but also prefer the less green in the first. I like the subtle tweak to straighten the verticals.

My immediate reaction was “what am I looking at?” After looking at it enlarged it became clear and I liked it quite a bit, especially all the tiny details, cracks, etc. The color is pleasing and relaxing in the initial image, but the second image color seems more harsh and disruptive. I prefer the first by a large margin.

Hi Igor,

My initial reaction was “Old Mexico” because it looks like an exterior wall typical of a Southwestern US city like Nogales AZ for example.
The heat baked iconic, signature mint green color has faded and cracked, even the plaster covered red brick with stamped floral patterns is typical of the Southwestern US.
Obviously this look isn’t exclusive to Nogales, it can be seen throughout the Southwestern US, even Southwestern Texas.
Nature is a huge theme for Mexican style architecture and has been for centuries.
Some of the finer cracks in the paint nicely follow the stamped, vertical, bidirectional floral patterns.

The floral patterns stand out more in the second, darker version (because of higher contrast?).

Anyway, this was a joy to view because of the fond memories I have of that region from my youth :slight_smile:

“Old Mexico” it is for me. :slight_smile:

Hi Igor.
my first reaction was Wow!
then my system 2 brain start wondering and questioning thinks.
I love the mood you get here, I do preferred the bluish version.
Composition is very good, very “clean” and one feels everything is in their right place.
Love this one

(personally I never look at the categories, I check all the photos and react to some)

@Merv, @David_Bostock, @Kris_Smith, @joaoquintela, @Diane_Miller, @Bonnie_Lampley, @Bill_Chambers

Thank you for looking and commenting at this image. I think there is a consensus that the bluish version is superior to the aquamarine version.

If you haven’t done so already please check this similar image:

https://community.naturephotographers.network/t/the-blue-hour/34651