Wasteting Away

This is one of many old homesteads from a couple of centuries gone by, that are in serious decay and will shortly be no more. This former farm house is in the South Park area of Colorado is the second time I have photographed it. For a homestead in this era and of the 19th century, it was grand house.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Infrared is difficult for me in the winter, no foliage, dull colors, snow, etc. However, on this day the clouds were interesting, if not a bit dull. I felt after experimenting a bit with PP, that if I desaturated the area in the image other than the house, the subject the house would stand out more. The current color of the house is a dark gray, beattened by the Colorado sun, however, the IR light and the filter / color swap gave an interesting hue to the house.

Technical Details

Image was taken with a Nikon Z6 full spectrum camera, with 590nm filter. White balanced and color corrected with a -100 RB-G split preset. Further processed in PS, the balance of the image other than the subject house was desaturated to make the homestead stand out.

A very unique treatment on this image, Gary. I agree the structure stands out. I like the comp very much also. Nice and a very creative image. Well done.

Thanks, David.