Waterfall - Crystal Falls BC Canada

Description:

Further edits:

Original

Specific Feedback Requested:

I’m a fledgling. Looking for some constructive criticism.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)
Some burn and dodge editing

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Ardemphotography

This image is not as successful as your other image. Here the bright foliage entering from the sides is a distraction in my opinion.

Welcome to NPN Duncan, glad to have you aboard. I think you will find honest, constructive and helpful critique here.

I like your overall composition here. You made good use of multiple, repeating diagonal lines, it makes the image more dynamic than a straight on portrait of a waterfall. It helps to creates a sense of depth to show this much foreground as well. And your shutter speed has done well with the water flow. For such mixed, high contrast lighting you did reasonably well with dynamic range and exposure, this is a difficult lighting situation to handle/process. Try coming back here on an overcast day to this scene, it would make things easier.

In terms of suggestions for improvement…

While the US/Canada border has been closed, this image could benefit from a little border patrol. In other words look for potential distractions along the edges that could be dealt with in camera or in post processing. The issues I see here are along the right edge. Bright objects near edges can be potential distractions.

The rock in the lower right could be darkened to reduce its potential to distract. The upper patch of leaves is not only bright, it is not sharp due to wind motion, making it even more noticeable. I would consider cloning both sets of branches away. There is some bright flare (?) in the upper right corner (URC) that I would also consider darkening down.

The branches in the ULC could darkened, as could the rock in LLC. This helps keep attention in the center of the image.

Welcome aboard, Duncan. Like Igor, I favor your other post but still like this. Ed has provided some excellent feedback on this one.

BTW, not a big deal as you are new, but you are only supposed to post one image per gallery per calendar day. Just something for future reference.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work and reading your thoughts on the work of others.

Thanks Harley. Oops. Sorry about that. I’ll keep to one from now on.

Regards,

Duncan McTaggart

2nd attempt……

Regards,

Duncan McTaggart

Duncan, I think your rework has done a good job with the issues on the right side. I think your burning of the ULC and LLC went a bit too far, I’d aim for something in-between instead.