We’re In This Together!

We usually have about 4-5 tree frogs per day in our shed. We usually have a roll of paper towels on a holder and find them hanging out in there or sometimes hanging out on a bike tire or in a bag! There were three in this paper towel roll today and as usual we brought it out by the bushes for them to be free. They gave me quite a few poses today before hopping off and probably heading their way back to the shed!

Specific Feedback Requested

I wanted to get rid of the white paper towels so I did a heavy vignette, does it look ok? Anything else…

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D3400, 52mm, 1/320, f/5.6, ISO 400
Cropped, vignette, adjusted exposure

apani.hill

Very cute! The vignette is a little crude, but I see how you need it. Paper towel tube! Frogs will get into anything. The white balance looks a little warm to me and there’s that hot-spot in the middle, but the sharpness is decent in the faces. Such lovely visitors.

1 Like

Vanessa, the vignette makes it look like it was taken with a fisheye lens. Pretty cool. I like it.

1 Like

Thanks both @Kris_Smith and @David_Bostock for your feedback, it’s interesting how everyone sees things differently!

Interesting situation and a very cool image, Vanessa. I’d be tempted to open up the composition a bit if your original allows it and include more of the paper towel tube boundary. The vignette works , but might be a bit of overkill depending on how close to in-focus the end of the roll of towels is. I’d definitely do something to tame that center bright spot.

1 Like

Thanks @Dennis_Plank ! I’ll have to see what I can do about the center bright spot. As far as the outside goes…I had tried everything, it’s not that the paper towels are in focus it’s just that they’re so bright since I was exposing for and focusing on the frogs which were pretty shaded because of being in the tube. I tried locally bringing down the exposure on the paper but it actually looked worse than the heavy vignette. I’ll just post the original to show you and maybe you’ll have some ideas of what I can do…

Awesome photo. Congrats…Jim

1 Like

Thanks @Jim_Zablotny ! I’m glad you like it!