Western Sandpiper Feeding

Hi All,

Another from 2013. This was shot about one hour before my last post. If it’s not a dunlin, please correct me. In post, I just cropped, adjusted whites and blacks with curves, sharpened the bird, and reduced noise on the BG. All C&C welcome.

Techs:
D3s
200-400 + 1.4x tc at 550mm, handheld
ISO 1250
1/1600
f/5.6

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@feelingruby

2 Likes

I love the low angle in this image, Lyle, and the Dunlin is tack sharp. Very well done.

1 Like

I like how the bird (I think it’s a Western Sandpiper) is framed against the OOF foreground and background and the nice contrast between the cool water and the rufous colors on the bird. Nice detail and low angle.

1 Like

Thanks, Allen. I believe you’re right. I wasn’t overly confident in the dunlin ID. Western sandpiper looks to be correct. We didn’t have many shorebirds in Memphis!! Hopefully, I’ll learn them better now that I’m nearer to the coast.

Beautiful bird against blurry background. I also love the low perspective. How wet and sandy did you get? :grin:

1 Like

I love this shot. Those low perspectives sure make a difference. Great DOF and contrast. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

This is a stunning bird portrait. I like the mirror-like effect of the reflections. If I would suggest anything it would be to either crop some of the dark area on the right edge of the frame or clone it out. It competes for attention with the bird.

1 Like

Fantastic image! Tack sharp, love the colors and I especially think the camera angle coupled with the slight hump of mud the bird is on really makes it stand out from the foreground and background.

1 Like

Ha. Not all the clothes from that morning survived!

Thanks, @Richard_Wong. I agree about that dark blob in the LRC. I don’t usually remove or alter much, but that spot was bothering me. Hopefully it’s better in the attached.

1 Like

As I see it posted, I probably should’ve lightened it more. Might revisit later.

Yeah I hear you. I almost never clone or crop either but just want to be objective for the critique forum.

1 Like

Pretty sure this is a Western Sandpiper. A few hundred thousand pass thru here every spring on way to Alaska ocean shorelines. You did a nice job capturing the start of summer colors on this one. Nice low angle and I like the repost.

Great shot of what appears to be a Sandpiper. Nice and low perspective, still high enough for some reflection. Pleasant light and feeding behavior from the bird. Nice work ! Cheers, Hans