What Lies Within

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Was wandering through South Carolina when I came up on this creature.

Specific Feedback

Any pointers or what to do with this photo.

Technical Details

Nikon D850, Nikon 18-200
ISO 1600
70 mm
f/11
1/30 sec
Processed in LR

Hi Marlin,
this is really a great and interesting log. I can very well understand why it caught your attention. There are so many details and structures to discover there. Great. I wonder how old this tree may be.

Maybe I would try to darken the URC slightly, using a Linear Gradient Filter in LR and pulling down the highlights a bit.

Do you have different shots of this tree? I also definitely see multiple shots in this image when you zoom in a bit. For example, I would play with the green plant or that kind of bug that is on the LLC. This creates a nice contrast, not only in color but also between young and old.

I could definitely spend some time on this tree.

Marlin, this tree looks like a model for Brian Froud’s creatures as seen in “The Dark Crystal” movie, especially if you crop to 8.5 x 11 (or maybe 4x5) removing the top part. A great find.

Hi Marlin,

Oh my!! :astonished: :roll_eyes:

I’m sure there are lots of people that would be interested in having this hanging on their wall.

I like the texture and the tonal ranges though.

Great Lines and Texture … Really good find. Very Cool !!!

@Jens_Ober , Thank you for the comments and suggestions. Will see what I can do. I hoped that bit of green from the vine would provoke a bit of the unexpected. But, this old trunk does a lot of that already. I love this theme, trying to find hidden ideas within an image. I haven’t played with this image to find other images within it. Didn’t think of that aspect when I pciked the title of this image. I will spend a lot more time with this. Thank you for the encouragment.

@Mark_Seaver , I will have to look into that movie. The creature certainly did stand out for me , but, it seems to be controlling all of the other cameo players wanting to emerge below. I will try out your suggestions. Thank you for your thoughts.

@Merv , Thank you for the comments. I will have to take Mark and Jens ideas and see what I can print up. I could spend way to much time, as far as my wife is concerned, exploring these old trees for the character and stories those lines tell.

@Gill_Vanderlip , Thank you for the comment. I wish I could spend a lot more time with these wonderful trees, but, I live too far away. I recently found some old oaks in the central coast of California that will be fun to explore. Will have to look for these themes in plants of my desert home. Should be plenty there to work with as well.