When's the last time you cleaned this?

I believe this is a juvenile Cooper’s Hawk, but the breast patterns are rather paler than normal. I did get a shot as it was taking off and the tail was well rounded with a fairly wide terminal white band which is why I’m going with Cooper’s instead of Sharp-shinned.

It didn’t stay for a bath, but with all the Purple Martins mobbing any hawk that comes through, it’s a wonder it stopped for any time at all. It’s been pretty regular and usually perches somewhere for a few seconds. There had been some Bluebirds through a bit earlier and I had my camera with me on the porch when I heard the Martins alarming and the hawk landed on the bird bath. All I had to do was open the porch door and step out. I think it was more worried about the Martins than me as it let me get quite a few shots.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I eliminated some grass heads sticking into the bottom of the frame and some darker spots in the background that I found distracting. If you notice any anomalies, please let me know.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

How’s the crop? This was a horizontal originally and I took canvas off both sides. It’s full height.

Any pertinent technical details:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 335 mm, hand held, f/8, 1/1250, iso 1250, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Noise reduction with Neat Image, feather enhancement with Topaz Detail.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Love the pose of the bird here, Dennis, and also the overall brownish hues which make for a delightful image.