Where's Waldo & RP

Here’s an environmental image which encompasses the bird and its natural surroundings. It is a little busy but that’s where these ducks live.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso-4000, 100-400+1.4 extender at 820 mm APC mode, F8, 5000th, handheld, 60% of full frame (19MP) , Sony A7R4

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hi David, a fine environmental image. I think the grass compliments the bird nicely. Fine details and color on the bird - well done. I might try burning down the wide leaf in the water just below the bird - it’s a pretty big distraction for me.

Nice capture of the male wood duck. His position in the frame is great. Love the grasses, water and surroundings. I too am distracted by the bright green leaf below the subject though.

This is really nice. Good detail in the duck and the setting is quite pleasant. Good composition and lighting. The green leaf didn’t bother me, though the yellow in the left upper corner did tend to draw my eye.

Repost with darkening and desaturating RUQ and green lilypad below duck

2 Likes

Beautiful duck and I like the surroundings, but the vertical lily pad really draws my eye. I think you could crop from the bottom right about the water line and clone over the tiny tip of leaf that would project above that line to eliminate the competition with the duck. The rest of the composition is interesting without competing with the subject.

Hello, David, as you describe a real in-habitat shot. The leave doesn’t disturb me that much as is seems to do the others, but should you want to get rid of it I think Dennis’s suggestions makes sense. However, between that, your repost and the original I still would prefer the original upload. Cheers, Hans

I kind of prefer the first post also. I might tone down the two bright areas a bit but not as much as the second one. It is a fine environmental shot of the Woodduck. Handsome bird.