Whidbey Island Ferry

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All feedback welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All feedback welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

1/8000 sec at f/8, 1600 ISO, Nikon Z6 with Nikkor 28-300 zoom set at 40mm, post-processed with Lightroom and Luminar 4

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below. @eweljim

Well that’s a pretty cool idea. I like that the frame is only on three sides for some reason, perhaps because it’s less cliche than having the window on all four sides. I like the cool WB, and the position of the other ferry. My only nit is the out of focus rope along the bottom, it’s just hard to get past that. You could crop it away, and have the window on just two sides. Or you go back and try taking two brackets, one focused on the boat, and another focused on the window, and then blend them together using masks in Photoshop . This would expand your depth of field, and get everything in focus. If this is how you commute to work, you’ll probably get another chance to try this at some point.

Thanks for the feedback Ed. It’s framed only on 3 sides because the “window” is at least twice as wide as shown in the photo. I thought about cropping the rope, but I liked it’s texture compared to the “dreaminess” of the ferry image. I hadn’t thought about trying to do a focus blend. I don’t commute on this ferry, but I might be on there again sometime in the future.

For what it’s worth, I like the rope and was attracted to the shot because of it. I could see cropping the black area at the top out and running some noise reduction on the sky. I could also see cloning the rope so it runs the length of the bottom. Enjoyed the scene as Puget Sound is one of my favorite areas.

Thanks Allen. I liked the rope as well. And thanks for the suggestions.