White-breasted Nuthatch + RP

_49A7292-Edit-Edit

Almost 3 months after foot surgery I’m finally able (barely) to get down a small slope to fill the bird feeders. I haven’t missed a lot as everyone seems to be molting and not very pretty, and some have gone south for the winter, but I’ve got cabin fever so I decided to see what I could find. A cooperative Nuthatch did stop by. I’ve never seen one with the back feathers fluffed up and it wasn’t windy, so I thought it was different enough to be interesting.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon R5, 100-500 + 2X at 1000, f/14, 1/800, ISO 3200. Minimal slider adjustments in LR, into PS for NR, slight cleanup on the perch and burned the ends, and a slight darker vignette. Slight crop bottom and right.

1 Like

I’m always happy to get a nuthatch, regardless, Diane. I like the pose-quite unusual. I’m glad to hear your foot is getting better. My wife has a chronic (genetic) issue with one of hers that requires periodic surgery, so I know what it’s like.

A fluffy little girl…at least I think it’s a female judging by the color of the head (aren’t the females gray and the males black up there?) and I really like the pose and that you’re back out there at least a little. I haven’t really shot in a while and got out in the kayak yesterday with some herons and a deer. If you increased the contrast in the bird, I think that would be nice…looks like you have the detail and exposure for it. Beauty of a critter.

Thanks guys! Yes, @Kris_Smith, mom or one of the kids. I’ve done a RP with more contrast on the bird – the belly feathers were looking pretty dingy – and darkened the yellows to show off the fluffed up feathers a bit more.

1 Like

Super job. Subtle, but effective. They are such cute little guys. I love their honking little calls.

@Diane_Miller, first off, so sorry to hear about your foot surgery. I sure hope it’s healing well for you.

As others have said, the pose is just priceless. I like the fluffy back too. And you couldn’t have gotten a better background. Wonderful.

Very cute! Of course, it’s a nuthatch, so how could it not be cute?! I really love the soft yellow background, it goes well with the light gray of the nuthatch. It’s really nice pose too.

Bad hair day for our friend? Great detail as always, and I like the repost changes too.

We don’t see the white breasted nuthatch here in the Pacific Northwest. It is always nice to see a different bird with slightly different behaviors and environment. Good job on this one with respect to the pose, background, and perch.

Hi Diane
Glade to hear you are getting out and walking some. I don’t think I have ever seen a Nuthatch in this pose. Nice framing and detail, as always.
Peter