White Rose, #935

I blended two different shots here. A shot of the rose and a shot of tulips that were deliberately out of focus.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Kathy, this image has a fine, artistic feeling with the warm, oof background and the nicely detailed look at the rose. The warm/white contrast works well.

Kathy: Great result. I love the BG especially and think it’s the perfect complement to the flower. Most excellent. >=))>

1 Like

Hi Kathy -

The rose itself is really beautiful and I like the colors in the background. There is one petal on the right center of the rose that is much more yellow than the others. You could consider de-saturating it so that it stands out a bit less among the other soft white petals. I could immediately tell that the background was blended in before I read your description saying this is a composite. You could consider softening some of the edges or blending more of the flower over the background at a low opacity to make it feel a bit more seamless if that transition bothers you. Otherwise, this is a pretty dose of spring.

Hi Sarah
Thank you for the critique. I’m don’t quite understand what you mean by “blending more of the flower over the background at low opacity” Would that be to have had more of the background deeper into the flower?? That confused me.
I think I understand softening the edges. I took it back into PS, created a blur layer , masked it with black and then painted some of the blur back in on the edges. This is the result. Is this what you meant?
Thanks
Kathy!

Hi Kathy - I think I’d have more of the flower petals at the edge overlay the background transitioning from full opacity to maybe 10-15% at the point where the flower meets the background. This is all personal preference as I think seeing the edge of the flower might make the transition seem less abrupt. It is hard to tell without seeing the files you started with as maybe the flower looks that dreamy at the edges. Regardless, it is a very pretty and colorful portrait of this flower. :blush: