Whitetail metamorphosis

On Sunday, with bright sunshine and temperatures in the upper 60’s (F), it was Common Whitetail metamorphosis day, with numerous Common Whitetail ( Plathemis lydia) dragonflies changing into their adult forms around the runoff control pond next door. While I was trying (unsuccessfully) to sneak up on one with it’s wings spread but still glistening, I noticed one just starting to exit the larval exoskeleton. Sadly, I didn’t adjust my camera settings at first so the first few captures show some motion blur. I did finally speed things up so this is the first clean look at this one just starting to expand it’s wings while still clinging to it’s larval husk. A 10 shot stack for dof. (7D2, 180mm macro, 1/250 s, f/5.6, iso 800, tripod)

2 Likes

Wow! This is incredible, Mark! I have never witnessed this scene in person, so I am really amazed. The details are superb. I have done what you said so many times, forget in my excitement to adjust my settings from a slow scene to a fast, or vice versa. So frustrating. You still got an excellent capture of a moment that probably most of us haven’t witnessed. Great shot! :+1: :+1:

That does it. When our dragons emerge I’m going to have to try stacking. Wow, so much detail. And a species I’m not familiar with. Did you have an issue with the stem moving in a breeze at all? If so, could the stacking sw correct for it? Luckily most of the ones in the yard are on rocks when they change so it might be ok, but that still means I need to put the tripod in the water since the dock floats and the river is always moving. Hm…

As @Shirley_Freeman said, Mark, this is beyond amazing. There is so much to look at, with the dragonfly emerging and larval husk still attached. It is hard to know where one is emerging and the other is being left behind. Incredible capture and very nicely done.

1 Like

Amazing photo @Mark_Seaver and a perfect example of what photography captures that is not very often seen. the focus stacking worked out well, did you have a focus rail or change focus. The overall color is wonderful as well. Perfect photo in many ways

This is an excellent capture with really great detail and a nice color palette through both the main subject and background tying it all together. I’m amazed at all the detail and texture in there and I think I know where some of the inspiration for Alien came from…

What an incredible capture!! Almost as incredible as the feat itself – I can’t fathom how they manage to do this!

1 Like

Mark: One of the best insect images I’ve seen in a long time. I’m surprised you were able to do a stack. I’ve never observed a dragonfly emerging but have seen many butterflies escape their chrysalis and there is a lot of movement going on. Spectacular shot. :+1: :+1:>=))>

Mark…this is exceptional. I continue to look at the image and see a kind of 3D effect, like that dragonfly coming out. The larger version is a treat.
Beautiful work …
Very well done
Balan Vinod