Winter Birch Stand Dusk

Glenferness Forest, Moray, Scotland

I had just decided it was time to pack up and go when I came across this final shot and probably one of my absolute favorites of that very fine winter day. The temperature was dropping fast and the cold was bone chilling but oddly the trees had a pinky warmth to them which turned out to be due to the hue of the overhead dusky sky which was reflecting down on the birch canopy. The shadows beyond the front line of trees remained cold and velvet blue but the trunks too were imbued with the same rosy hue.

6 Likes

Hi Ian, this is such a beautiful, peaceful looking scene. It’s amazing all the different colors and lighting you can get in the span of a few minutes. You captured this moment well!

Beautiful light, scene and interplay of warm/cool tones. I would be inclined to crop the top a bit to bring more emphasis to the trunks and depth of the forest. It is hard to describe the crop I had in mind, so here is what I was thinking. A very peaceful and serene image and mood. Very well done.

Awesome capture Ian. I too love the interplay of warmth and coolness in colors. The trunks give great structure yet 2/3 of the image is soft and cozy.

Incredible in the subtle beauty here. Well seen. I like the slight shave off the top and the emphasis on the forms it gives. That light just blows me away!

This is gorgeous Ian. The reflected pink light on the snowy branches makes this image stand out.

A wonderful natural scene you’ve captured marvelously. The highlighted limbs glow.

Wow, what a gorgeous scene. I’m glad you decided not to pack it in before you made this photo.

Very cool indeed.
Love it

Ian, there is a most appealing interplay of the warmer and cooler shades as well as of the firm trunks and delicate twigs for me. I enjoy the atmosphere of this wintry day a lot.

Peter

Lovely light and capture, Ian. I like it as presented Thanks for sharing!

Fascinating effect Ian. The heavy snow in the trees looks lovely, and it picked up that light very well.