Winter tree

While commenting on the excellent winter image Blowing Sideways by @Vanessa_Hill I made a high-key proposal. That inspired me to revisit a winter image that I have planned for a high-key rendition and actually do it. This is the result.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments are welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

5 Likes

Really beautiful image,Ola! I love the big tree in the front and then the depth made from the trees lined up behind it and then the one further back and middle of the photo. It makes me think of those drawing in perspective exercises in art class! I really would be curious to see the original image. I know you are going for high key, but I feel like the branches mainly in the front tree don’t stand out as much as they could and usually do in winter, unless maybe in this instance they’re so covered with snow that they might be partially hidden? I really love your composition, it’s beautifully done!

Ola, this is very beautiful and eye-catching. I really like the curvy trunks that go to the right, and how they are balanced visually by the bulk of the foreground tree and also the smaller tree in the background left. The contrast of course is really nice, to accentuate these shapes.
Of great interest to me are the tiny little branches. Are they covered in ice? The tiny details of these little snow/ice covered branches reminds me of pointillism…little dots of details.
Well done!

1 Like

Ola, wonderfully composed and b/w works very well.

Beautiful scene and image. I would clone out the dark bit along the lower left edge. The chosen presentation really works well .

Ola, this is a fantastic High-Key image. Well done with your processing. I really like the larger version too.

I love the graphic contrasts of this scene Ola. Reminds me of a pencil etching.

Beautiful image Ola (did someone mention to you that “Olá” is the Portuguese word for “Hello”?)
I Love the overall feel of the image and the graphical mood in it.

I second @Harley_Goldman suggestion; it did caught my attentions right away.

Really lovely image Ola. What I like most about it is how the diffuse nature of the branches focuses so much attention on the twisted shapes of the tree bottoms. And i love how you included the little tree on the left to create a repetition shapes, to me it a very nice small touch to the overall image.

Really great image. The placement of the trees is perfect. I really like the tones in the image and the way the texture in the snow drifts away as you look further into it, towards the smaller trees at the back. I thought initially that there wasn’t enough contrast between the sky and the white branches. But the way you have edited this draws more attention to the trunks and the placement of the trees, which again is really pleasing to look at. One small thing, when you blow the picture up big, it looks like there is a small smudge on the left hand side. A beautiful image.

1 Like

Beautifully composed image Ola. The inclusion of the smaller tree on the left is important to the composition and the feel of the image. The larger tree branches on the left side look like they are protecting the smaller tree. It tells a story. The smaller tree is not necessarily alone but it is out of line and larger tree is reaching out to it and providing help and comfort. I also happy trees in the front of and behind the main tree do a happy dance. OK, maybe I’m diving too deep into this but this image can take you so many different places depending on your own interpretationtion. Super image Ola!

Excellent work. Your images just keep getting better and better. What an amazing tree.

@Harley_Goldman, @Mario_Cornacchione, @Vanessa_Hill, @Igor_Doncov, @David_Bostock, @David_Haynes, @david20, @Ed_McGuirk, @joaoquintela, @Eva_McDermott and @Mark_Muller thanks for your kind comments. It is almost somewhat overwhelming.

I will take care of the dark bit along the lower left edge.

Yes, many years ago I visited the beatiful country of Portugal playing golf.

@David_Haynes, I like very much your interpretation of the image.

Thanks, Igor. The NPN members and moderators are great part of whatever improvements I have made.

@Harley_Goldman, thanks for the EP. It is very much encouraging and inspire me to go out there more often to find subjects to photograph.

I just now saw this! I have to chime in to add how wonderful it is! Excellent comments above cover it very well. I love the idea and the execution!

@Diane_Miller thanks for your kind words. Glad you liked the image!