With quiet presence (+1 re-edit)

So while I’m up in the U.P. I thought I’d share a shot that our small group just got done critiquing to see how you guys like it.

Here it is with more room on the right - I removed the edge of an island that crept in at the horizon.

This is from this morning just as the sun crested across Lake Superior. The cliffs and rocks here are all red sandstone and boy, did they light up beautifully. I believe what you see in the distance is the Keweenaw Peninsula that is the northern-most part of the U.P.

My thought here is to showcase the rocks. Most people shoot the water, but it’s endless and frankly, was boring. Flat, calm and without character. The rocks though always have character. Superior is the only Great Lake formed by volcanic action and the surrounding area is rich in metals like copper and iron which are still mined today.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback is welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Lumix G9
Lumix G Vario 12-35 f/2.8 @ 17mm
f/8 | 1/80th sec | ISO 200
Tripod & polarizer
Blend of 5 bracketed exposures

Lr processed for a bit of a crop to eliminate an eye-catching tree trunk. General exposure and tone control, gradient filter to manage sky a bit - color grading & exposure. A touch of texture, clarity & sharpening. A bit of lens correction, too, but not much.

@the.wire.smith
1 Like

Kris
Love the composition and color palate .My eyes follow the larger cure to the BG point but also the lower and upper diagonal of the rocks to the rock tip… nice journey! I would like to see more water on the right as it feels cramped at the rock edge.

Beautiful sunrise on the rocks. I’d like to see a little more room on the right, but it appears that’s where the sun was and might have been too bright. Nicely captured.

I like this image a lot Kris. These are indeed “rock stars”, and deserve to be the center of attention. I also think you did a great job processing this golden hour light, with the perfect level of contrast and color saturation. These rock formations remind me of the pink granite at Acadia NP, and you only have a few minutes just after sunrise to work with before the light gets too harsh on the rocks. You nailed the timing of this perfectly. You have absolutely gorgeous light here.

I agree with wanting to see slightly more breathing room on the right, but fundamentally I agree with your decision to minimize the amount of open water. Here is a rework with 3% added canvas, and PS Content Aware Fill, in this case PS did an amazing job.

A great image with amazing light/colors! I agree with the comments suggesting to just add some more space to the right.

Thanks peeps. I cut it there because there is an island to the right that just looked weird, but the added canvas does help. I’ll have to give it a go myself or maybe magically remove the island.

I’ve added a new version in the OP and I agree that it needed the space. Thanks peeps!

1 Like

Like yours and @Ed_McGuirk reworks.

1 Like