Wolf Crossing

It’s time to start compiling favorite images from the past twelve months. This was shaping up to be an active travel year for me. In the end, however, I was fortunate to still get a Yellowstone-heavy year out of it, with four trips between January and October (only possible in a COVID year because we have property near the park).

This shot was from my January trip, which ended up being my best-ever winter visit to the park. This was thanks in large part to some tremendous wolf activity, especially from the Wapiti Lake Pack. I’ve shared a few other images of the pack already here, from some of my encounters in the northern part of Yellowstone. This photo was taken in the remote park interior, where I was leading the snow coach portion of my tour. The pack traveled 35 miles or so south to meet us down by the Madison River on our final morning there… so nice of them.

This wolf surprised a small group of onlookers (my group and a couple other coach groups) intent on other wolves farther down the river by popping out right next to the road. Everyone scrambled out of the way to give it space. It’s not the type of encounter you seek out in Yellowstone—I didn’t feel entirely comfortable with it, since I had to shuffle out of the way into deep snow and remain as unobtrusive as possible in order to avoid disturbing the animal—but it certainly was memorable. I only snapped a few quick photos (shot through a bridge railing on my tip-toes) before trying to keep a low profile until it finally crossed the road.

Canon 1DX
Canon 100-400mm
ISO 3200
1/250th
f/5.6

Max

4 Likes

Superb eye level view and eye contact… Excellent field work as well, not easy.

1 Like

Incredible opportunity Max and what a beautiful animal. I love the little bit of snow on the tip of the nose. You capture quite an intent stare as well. In the very LLC there appears to be a white finger of snow that’s popping up. I don’t know what it is but easy to remove. Love this Max!

1 Like

Most excellent. I would not change a thing if this were my shot. What a prize. Going to Yellowstone in winter to shoot is way high on my bucket list. Fingers crossed I will get a chance to seek out such opportunities.

1 Like

Max, what an opportunity just to see one, but to get such a great shot. What a a fine pose he gave you. Those eyes look like he is staring right at you. Love the touch of snow on his nose. Great shot! :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Thanks, everyone. Funny thing about that snow… two of my closest (and favorite) wolf portraits are winter shots, and of course the wolves have snow on the nose. I was fortunate the first one shook most of it off before I snapped the shot I really liked (it would’ve been more of a distraction than in this photo), and at least this snowy patch is centered and not too glaring. :wink:

Hi Max!
If I have to compile my favorite images, the number is zero because I didn’t shoot any this year. My last shoot was Dec 2019, and I myself was hit by Covid, however every thing is ok now.

It’s a wonderful portrait with great eye contact, the snow takes this kind of images to another level.
If you have some more canvas at the bottom, that may help.

1 Like

Max,

I have only seen wolves about a half a mile out in the Lamar Valley. This one is special as it shows the wolf looking at the group with intense curiosity. A wonderful photo…Jim

1 Like

Jagdeep, glad you’re feeling better! This, sadly, is all the canvas I can muster. It’s nearly full frame, and I actually had some of the “bridge vignette” edge seeping in on the bottom. Not perfect, but for a somewhat hurried scenario, I was relieved to get something. :wink:

Max