Woody

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Obviously you don’t know this guy like I do. That being said, are you drawn to the image for reasons of your own?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

I would have to say that Woody is not only one of the true loves of my life but is also a bit of an artistic muse. I love this image for a few reasons. The natural light gives it a wonderful sense of depth and visual interest. I love the mystery that comes through chiaroscuro affect and that is a big part of this picture – the relationship between what is seen and not seen. But what I like most about this picture is the tightness of the shot combined with the clarity and catch light in the one eye that looks back at you. I feel that it gives the image a sense of intimacy, which makes for a good portrait. Now, I’m obviously biased. After all, isn’t Woody the best dog in the whole world!! But I’d love to know how you feel about this image given that you have no particular relationship with the subject of this portrait.

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-04-14 at 11.15.19 AM

1 Like

I’m not particularly a dog person. I prefer cats, both for their aloof personalities and because they are self-cleaning, but I think I probably have a reasonably neutral basis to relate to the image. So, yes, I think you have a wonderful image with great light and tonal quality and captured a great expression with the one eye, which makes a very good connection with the viewer. My first thought is maybe take a little off the right, but not a big deal.

So after reading your further material – yes, Woody strikes me as very likeable. The artistic skill of the photographer certainly brings that out!

Hello, My initial reaction was to focus on the dog’s eye…i have a doodle with similar features so this look means to me pleading for something! I love the monchromatic treatment and the details in the curls. To me the depth of field is perfect.

The key thing that I like about this image is the dog’s eye in the brightest part of the image. Lighting is awesome, and there’s enough of the dog showing from the shadows which catches the eye. Lots of excellent detail and like this one as presented…Jim