Wrapped against the elements (+1 re-work)

A new version w/the background tamed down a bit.

Until I started focus stacking it was darn near impossible to get bloodroot leaves and flowers in focus in the same picture. And because both are awesome it was kind of a shame to have to choose. I found this beauty on the edge of the driveway after a rain. It seems only some bloodroot come up pink, or they show pink only for such a short window that it isn’t commonly seen. And even though they litter the yard and come up every year, I find them so interesting that I have to get out there and shoot them. They’re gone to seed now, but the leaves are still up and will continue to grow throughout the spring.

Specific Feedback Requested

This was a stack put together from shots I took choosing the focus points manually. It isn’t perfect. I missed a bit, but I don’t think its an important bit. How does it come across?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Lumix G9
P/L 45mm f/2.8 macro
f/5 | 1/30 sec | ISO 200
Tripod or beanbag support, can’t recall
7 image stack - DMap

Lr for basic adjustments including white balance, clarity & texture. A bit of sharpening. Then Zerene to stack. Retouched mostly for the background. Ps to remove a bright rock.

@the.wire.smith

Getting low is essential for bloodroot. It allows a composition with no vertical distortion. That absolutely upright growth pattern is important to portraying the plant. I don’t see any problems with focus. The inclusion of dark soil and new growth of viola spp. gives the plant a place from which to grow. Very nice!

Aren’t moveable LCD screens a small joy? Otherwise lying on the ground, in the mud would be necessary. There is another way. If your camera can be linked to your phone via bluetooth, you can put the camera on the ground and view the scene, focus, and shoot with the phone.

Thanks Paul. Getting low is no problem. I’m pretty athletic and do some kind of exercise involving squats a few days a week. But the screen is a must-have for me. I’ve tried using my phone with the app, but it’s usually more trouble than it’s worth.

Kristen, Getting low has minimized the distortion and stacking done very well. The image brings out the delicate aspect of the flower bud and the leaf. Background is a little bright and distracting. Toning down the bright aspects could make the main subject pop up more. I like the bottom past that consists of the dirt and sprouting leaves. They tell a story of spring.

Only suggestion would be to reduce the brightness/contrast in PS on the background. I reworked and the attached is the result.

Thanks everyone…I reworked it to reduce the vibrance of the background (very wet leaves). Let me know if it works better.