Yellow Billed Cardinal

A common bird seen primarily in the early morning and late afternoon. An introduced species.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any pertinent technical details: iso 6600, 100-400 at 400 mm, f5.6, 1000th, 86% full frame, handheld, no flash, A7R4

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Its range must not reach into my parts. I’ve never seen one before. Beautiful bird. Great background.

David, I remember seeing this one in HI when we were there 10 years ago. I didn’t realize though at the time that it was one that had been introduced to HI. It was the only bird that I got a fairly close up and personal photo of while we were there, because back then I didn’t have a long telephoto lens. I thought then that it was one of the most beautifully marked birds I had ever seen. You did a wonderful job getting the whites and blacks on him, and the red looks good as well. The background is nice to make him stand out as well. I hope you are really enjoying your visit in HI. I would love to go back again.

What a magnificent bird, David. The perch is not quite ideal but you have minimized its impact in the image that it’s not intrusive anymore. My only concern is that it is not tack-sharp in the eye. Everything else looks very good! Looking forward to seeing more from Hawaii!

6600 ISO. You must be getting some more light. Excellent shot of this Cardinal. Such a beautiful bird.

Very nice, David. I like the pose a lot. I agree that the eye looks just a bit soft. I know you’re fighting lack of light, but maybe stopping down just a bit when you’re this close would do it.