Yellow rump warbler taking off

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Is the amount of blur OK?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Overall composition, bird’s head is slightly pointing off, is this too much?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Canon R6, 800mm F-11, IS STM
1/2000 @ F-11 ISO 2000

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Nice catch, John. The head angle is a bit off. It wouldn’t bother me very much except it appears that the angle took the head out of the best focus area and it’s a bit soft. I like the branches of the tree angling across the frame. I do think you could take just a bit off the left to decenter the bird a bit more.

Thank you Dennis. I need a lot of practice in photographing smaller birds. I do appreciate your and others comments.

Hi John, Good points made by Dennis. It looks like rump and tail are in focus but head is just out of zone of focus even at f/11

I like your shutter speed and would not worry about the wings being blurred as long as head and eye are in focus and sharp. Birds in flight are always hard and the smaller the harder. Good idea about the practice.

Hi John,

The others have revealed my critiques and well. The head is slightly soft, but these birds are so quick that overall you did very well. I like the network of cedar against gray fall sky. Well done…Jim

Hi John
There is not much I could add to the comments. The wing blur shows the vary fast wing movement. You could use a local brush to bring up the sharpness of the head. Have fun with these vary fast birds.
Peter

Excellent to keep focus on the bird with this sudden movement, and have the SS to keep it sharp. I’d also remove a little from the left. The head might be lightened a little to mitigate the concerns.