Yellowstone Coyote

I just returned from a lovely 4 days in Yellowstone! Figured I’d throw this one up to see what y’all thought. I laid in the snow to create a natural vignette with the snow bank that was beside me. Much to my luck, this pretty Coyote walked right into it, followed by her mate. I really like the way it makes the Coyote look like it’s “fading” into the snow.

Also, I tried to add the ‘ig’ tag for Instagram on here but it’s not letting me for some reason.

IG username: @jenayalaunsteinphotography

6 Likes

Typical of your images this is quite spectacular (composition and processing; everything about it). I really like that you laid in the snow and captured her from this perspective. A first glance I thought perhaps more room at the bottom but as I continued to view it, I would leave it as is. Nice to see that you are posting again.

1 Like

Haha, thanks so much, Jim! Yes, I played around with the idea of more room but after doing a couple versions I ended up liking this one best, so I left it.

1 Like

I really like the daigonal presentaion of Coyote across the frame, the lower POV added some mistique to the image.
BTW I’m not against adding some canvas at the bottom. :smile:

1 Like

Love the ethereal look with the low angle and the snow. Great look from the coyote as well. Super.

1 Like

What a cool shot. I opened it in Photoshop and lowered the brightness a bit, and raised the contrast a touch and liked the result. I do not care for the large logo thing. It’s visually distracting. It is a spectacular shot, though.

1 Like

What a shot, Jenaya. Love the mist of snow to create that natural vignette. That head turn is a real bonus too. Excellent wildlife image. :+1: :+1:

1 Like

As I mentioned elsewhere to you, I like this a lot. I think OOF foregrounds can be quite effective when it comes to isolating subjects (Hans does a nice job of this in some of his shots in the Avian category), and obviously snowy Yellowstone presents the perfect opportunity to do so. The elongated shape of the coyote works really well in this instance.

Max

1 Like

Thanks again, Max! Yes, I’ve always admired Hans’ work.

I think this is great and love the use of the out of focus foreground for the ethereal effect. Well done!

1 Like

Absolutely great, Jenaya, the snow and the shallow dof make all attention immediately go to the eye contact you have with the coyote. Beautiful!
Grt, Ingrid.

1 Like

A beautiful high key capture of this ghost coyote, Jenaya! The low angle of the shot with the associated bokeh, the diagonal position of the coyote and the sharp details in the fur and face make for a very striking image. Very well done!

1 Like

It’s so difficult to photograph in snow! I like this approach very much. It’s almost like a master pencil drawing, to my eye! Bravo!

1 Like