Young Buck

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any is fine.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? I cropped to remove an OOF tree trunk on the left and some bright patches of sunlight on the right.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D500 200-400mm f4 (250mm, 1/1000 sec at f7.1, ISO 2000) Levels, Luminosity mask on midtopnes with curve adjustment to increase midtone contrast. Up the metro park, I move very quietly along the trails and this white-tail buck wasd quite curious about my presence. I leaned up against a tree to blend in better and the deer was reacting to the noise of the camera shutter. My camera was set up for birds in flight, but I should have adjusted the iso and shutter speed down for a better exposure…Jim

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

jameszablotny

Hi Jim !

You managed to attract this Buck very effectively, I really liked the attentive pose with side lighting. Normally in this kind of environment, shallow depth is preferrable but f 7.1 is doing a fine job here.

I’m not a fan of squre comp, but that too is working fine here.

Cheers !

1 Like

Jim, this is a fine look at this buck. It really needs to be seen in the larger view to really appreciate.

1 Like