A Capitol Morning - WC #877

A sunrise near Capitol Reef N.P. This was a cropped version from a much larger open space overall. I liked this pano version a bit more then the original take.

Wista DXIII 4x5 - Schneider APO 120mm - Velvia 50 QL.

FG Contrast Added :

I like the background buttes and the sky. I do feel there is too much foreground. I know the light is very soft, but I feel a tad more contrast in the landscape would give this more punch; especially in the foreground.
-P

@Preston_Birdwell thank you for the review & comment. As this was a WC of “Open Spaces” I was pushing toward the openness here more then anything. Actually, the original has a TON more FG…:cowboy_hat_face:

As far as more contrast I was afraid my standard fare of Velvia 50 might have been seen pushing toward gaudy. So I only tickled with sat / contrast. But, your point is well taken and worth further review from that perspective…:+1:

Nice formations and sky. I see where Preston is coming from with the foreground, but I think if you add some contrast (without screaming the color) it will provide some nice leading lines and interest heading back to the formations. I like it.

@Preston_Birdwell @Harley_Goldman…OK Gents, added some FG contrast and a tickle of vibrance globally.

Any thoughts?..:thinking:

I am finding the foreground much more effective in the repost. Nicely done.

Paul, this is definitely “open space”. The extra contrast in the foreground is a fine, subtle improvement. I like that drainage channel that winds through the foreground and the strong sense of lots of space. The pano format, the details in the foreground, the light on the buttes and the lovely colors in the sky make a very inviting image.

I like the added contrast in the foreground, Paul. You might try some subtle light painting along the valley from the foreground back to help lead the eye, but those hills in the back are a pretty good pull on their own.

Paul,

Beautiful and perfect entry for the WC.

I prefer the added contrast and re-work of the foreground landscape.

I don’t think it’s been mentioned and maybe I’m the only one that will comment on this. And it’s been a long time since I’ve even nitpicked your colors… Or I should say saturation. I wasn’t there and this is certainly well within personal choice and preference. For me the yellow/orange in the rock formations is a little saturated. Again, just my perception. Then again, the more I look at it, the more it calms down for me… :slight_smile:

Good call on the pano crop as well.

Lon

That touch of extra contrast does seem to give a slightly stronger overall tonality, Paul, and to bring out the distant rocks even better. Beautiful image !

@Lon_Overacker, I had the same issue here on this one. Just one of those images that was hard on the eyes to process. In the end I just had to leave it as is. I still think it is about +5 too hot on the saturation. But, if you “stare” at it long enough it “calms down”, as you’ve stated…:thinking:
Thanks for the review…:cowboy_hat_face:

The lighting along with the color combination of warm and cool tones is exquisite, Paul. I am enjoying the pano format here as it emphasizes all of the wonderful elements in the scene. I particularly like that sky. Great work as always.