A Dreamer's Fortune

This weekly challenge subject is so up my alley. Sorry if I overpopulate the category, but I can’t help myself.

This is the shot I was talking about in my other lenticular clouds picture Death From Above. The plane I was on was coming into SeaTac and like other obsessives, my camera was at my feet. The sun was just settling below the cloud layer and wow. The lenticulars caught me as did Mt. Rainier.

Specific Feedback Requested

It was hard to decide where to crop, but since the lenticulars are the most interesting area, I cut from the bottom so you wouldn’t get too lost down there. It was tough though since the clouds down that way are interesting in their own right. Maybe I need to split this into two images. Do you get lost in it? Not enough focus area?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Olympus E-30
Zuiko D 12-60mm lens @ 60mm (120mm equiv.)
f/6.3 | 1/125 sec | ISO 100
handheld obviously

Lr processed for the basics and to remove some vignetting. Upped exposure and light sharpening. Into Ps to play with TK6 masks for a more gentle separation of tones. Then a Smart Object layer to apply Smart Sharpen, Camera Raw Filter for a graduated filter in the sky and some vibrance/saturation. Phew.

the.wire.smith

Kris, shooting from plane windows used to be a favorite activity, however, as the window quality degraded, I’ve given up… This is a great look, with a view full of clouds and the single mountain peeking through. The lenticular clouds behind the mountain a fine extra.

Very cool find looking out the window, Kris. The warm light scattering across the blue tones of the clouds is a nice touch and Mt. Rainier along with those gorgeous lenticular clouds take the scene up another notch. BTW, the crop looks fine to me. Good thing you had the window seat. :smiley:

Thanks guys. I try for the window when I can. Husband is the mega flyer so we mostly hang on his points and he knows the window is given. Weirdly he prefers the aisle.

And yeah, windows aren’t what they used to be. I do this less and less. :slightly_frowning_face: