A late arrival

This isn’t really a macro, but more of a close up.

Basswood trees have evolved specialized bracts to help with seed dispersal - I love to watch them helicopter down into the yard in late fall. This one was very late on the scene and after spotting it and a few others in the snow, I headed out with the camera. The bract here is about 4-4 1/2 inches long and has only two berries remaining. I really like the different shapes and the shadow. Plus the snow was all still smooth and perfect. It’s been so cold for so long that 0 feels pretty nice so I spent a few minutes out there while the shadows of the trees were off this section of the backyard.

Specific Feedback Requested

It’s a very slight crop, but I don’t know if it should have more space.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Lumix DC-G9
Lumix G Vario 12-35mm f2.8 lens @ 17mm (35mm in 35mm format)
f/11 | 1/200 sec | ISO 200
Handheld

Lr processed for some clarity and sharpness in the leaf. Removed a few windblown particles. Slight crop. That’s about it.

2 Likes

What a jewel of a find! The sharpness and detail are wonderful, as is the texture in the snow. My inclination would be to crop a bit closer. If there was a subtle detail to fill the negative space, such as a faint shadow, then I would go for this crop.

1 Like

Very Creative. An image that shows how simple images can be so intriguing. Wouldn’t change your crop at all. Looks great.

1 Like

Simple and beautiful. Looks great as is to my eye!

1 Like

I like that the white snow has some detail and is not too bright and has a natural tone. Also the minimalist image composition is a good reminder of simplicity.

1 Like

Thanks everyone. I’ve posted another in the series. I just love how winter brings out my inner minimalist!

Kristen, I really like this shot. I love how the lighting is shining through the leaf, allowing it’s texture to show through nicely. I am not sure that I would change anything about this. Well done.

1 Like

I think it is a super shot, Kris. What I like best is actually how beautifully you rendered the snow!

1 Like

Thanks Shirley and Jim - I’m a total sucker for single leaves in snow, but I’ve never had the opportunity to shoot these basswood bracts. I love my yard.

Kristen: My apologies for being so late to this party but this is exceptionally well seen, composed and captured. The shadow pointing into the frame is a nice piece of icing on a very fine cake. Top notch shot. >=))>

1 Like

Hi Kristen! I really love the minimalistic style of this image. The snow being so smooth and glistening really makes the leaf and berries stand out elegantly. And I like where they are in the frame, giving the snow room to shine as well!

1 Like

Kris the contrast between this view and your most recent post is remarkable. In both shots, I like how you’ve got the leaf parallel to the frame and the seeds pointing along the diagonal. The extra contrast in this view gives more emphasis to the bract in this shot. I’m enjoying how he frame shape and orientation of the bracts result in two views that feel quite different even though the elements are “the same”.

1 Like