A poetic dawn

The La Spezia Gulf in the Liguria Region is beautiful and known as the Gulf of the Poets. Long ago there lived for a period of their life Dante and Petrarca then George Sand, Lord Byron, Mary Shelley, Charles Dickens, Richard Wagner, Virginia Wolf and many others.; William Turner painted it. In the Gulf Porto Venere is a well known seaside resort and there I saw this gentle sunset.

Specific Feedback Requested

Contrasts too low for you? I am thankfull for any comment

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

D850, Nikkor 70-200 at 70mm - 1/250, f/11, ISO 100 - Most of the editing work in Camera Raw.

2 Likes

Hi Gigi. Soft pastel colors render a gentle scene. Soothes the soul. Hope you are well and glad to see you posting again.

Pat

Hi Pat, your words about the image are what I hoped to read. This was my aim but surely there will be also different opinions. Pat I hope not disappointg you telling that I don’t take a flower since four years and this is for ever. With the departure of my wife is gone with her also my passion for flowers. Now we must be patient with me because I am still a student in this category new for me.
No more flowers then but you can’t imagine how much I miss your floral photos gentle, poetic and artistic.
Ciao, Giuseppe.

I think this is beautiful, quiet, serene, and calming. I can hear the gentle waves.

The eyes are led t the upper right hand corner…there is a dark line near the edge of the frame below the island mass and the subtle hint of part of a boat. Because this is such a strong focal point, I’d personally be inclined to remove those distractions.

Only other recommendation is to dodge the darkest engine (3rd fm last boat at the dock) as it gets some attention for high contrast where the rest of the image is low contrast.

Otherwise, this is a beautiful scene and a very successful image to my eye.

Thanks Jim, two excellent suggestions that I soon applied. I sometimes am in doubt between naturality and quality but the last must prevail of course. A small problem with the engine: dodge don’t do a good job because is not a problem of light but of color: black. I relaid on Adjustment Layer, Selective correction of color, black. I hope it works.

I think this looks great!

Giuseppe ,I think a good composition and the right use of that bit of color. Well made image great to look at.

I like this image a lot. The high key treatment is perfect for the gentle, hazy light that you had here. There is a very peaceful feeling to the image, due to the subdued colors, the calm seas, and the fact that all the boats seem to be at rest. All of this added together results in a wonderful mood. I also think you have a very well balanced composition, the spacing of the boats is well done, and you made very effective use of negative space. I’m enjoying this very much as presented.