Abandoned farmhouse

A well-worn subject, but I liked how the moisture laden sky came through on this mild winter day and B&W just seemed like a classic. In the horizontal framing I wish I was able to place the building better, but the new barns kept getting in the way :).

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcomed, thanks for looking.

Technical Details

Aps-c 23mm f8.0 ISO 200 1/250 sec

2 Likes

Charles, one of my favorite subjects–abandoned structures in snow. The B&W is, as you said, classic. I think the placement is fine. I also like the color version, but do see a bit of blue/cyan color cast…that’s probably due to the cold and snow.

Anyway, love these images, and I hope you have more to share soon.

I like both. Love old barns. I have two preferences: B/W and vertical. I would like to see the color photo in B/W.

I’m rarely a fan of negative space but I love the vertical. I’m wondering about bringing out a hint more detail/texture in the top part, with a gradient. If it were mine (wish it was!) I’d consider a slight darker gradient at the base. I also think it would make a lovely B/W but I find the color treatment adds a very nice interest.

The image quality of both is just lovely!

Couldn’t resist playing!! Not that I would presume this is any better, but just where some instinct led me. The scene is so lovely it stands up well as the subtle version presented or could be pushed far into a high contrast B/W – purely artist’s choice.

1 Like

Thanks very much Diane for the kind words and taking time to edit. I had not thought about using a linear gradient on the sky but I see now there is much more detail in the clouds. I am glad you saw the subtle colours in the image - a warm winter day always has nice saturated colours but they are muted. I am partial to the colour version (but agree with @David_Bostock that there is a bit too much blue) . But I tried a B&W (by request @Jim_Gavin :wink: - thanks for the feedback). I put a gradient in the sky to bring out the top clouds a bit, and then increased the contrast in the base and played with highlights and exposure in the base snow - there are subtle ridges there but no much to see. I could spend hours getting this just right I think. Thanks again all!

I like it! I didn’t just use contrast, but what at least used to be called local contrast – in this case, Tonal Contrast in Nik CEP. There are several sliders and 5 algorithms to play with.

1 Like

I like it, too. Thanks for giving it a go.

1 Like