Abandoned

This is an abandoned house in the Palouse area of Eastern Washington. It was taken through the window of an old chicken coop. It was taken with my iPhone.

As always, any feedback is welcome.

1 Like

This is a cool image @Chris_Baird! The paint on the window edges gives this a painterly feel, at least to me. Even the house in the upper center seems painterly. I love the overall look of this. Great job seeing this opportunity!

1 Like

Wonderfully seen and conveyed. Abandoned house out there and a clearly abandoned place with a window that was your frame.
Minor tun-up thoughts … the vegetation is fairly atonal. A bit of burning here and there break that up. And you have the option of burning the right side of the house.
The sky is heavily mottled. If that was an artistic Photoshop Effect, it seem to me a bit heavy in the sky relative to the rest of the image.

1 Like

This looks great, Chris. The grime on the windows really adds to the look and mood of the abandonment. I like @Dick_Knudson 's changes to the grass. Very well seen and done.

1 Like

Chris, your view point works very well here, showing an old weathered window with a nice outside view of the second weathered building.

1 Like

Thank you, Dick. I appreciate your thoughtful comments and will give some of them a try.

Thanks. Everything about this place spoke of abandonment. I tried many ways to capture the feel of the place. This was the one.

Thanks, Mark. It was fortunate that the view from the window aligned with the house.

Thanks, Mark. Lots to see in the Palouse.

Wonderful photo Chris. This truly does look like a painting, or a post card. Love that your photographed it through the window, this adds so much to the story. Very nicely seen and captured.

1 Like

Thank you very much, Linda. I’m glad you like it.

Chris: Your images from the Palouse area make me want to go back. I lived in Spokane in the early 80s but was not into photography at that time. I kind of rue the missed opportunity but you’ve done very well. >=))>

I know the feeling. I lived in Santa Fe for four years before I started doing photography. I often think of all the things I could have photographed.

Well done. The angled window frames adds to the feel abandonment. Also, having the building in just part of one pane adds to its isolation. Bravo!

1 Like

Andrew Wyeth’s work comes to my mind when I view this image. Very painful Terry effect and both versions work for me. Awesome…Jim

1 Like

Thank you, Igor, for your thoughtful comments.

Jim, thanks for the compliment and the feedback.

1 Like

Painterly not painful. Spell checker and I do not play well together…Jim