Acadian Dawn

Original:

Full confession. What you see here is a bit of a before and after. The second image was processed over a year ago, the first just recently after many learning experiences (including a 1:1 with @David_Thompson).

I like both of these images as they convey something unique and different even though they are from the exact same spot. The first is more energetic and feels more like a sunrise shot. The second more peaceful which probably more closely represents my feelings during this trip as the chaos of COVID started to slip away a bit. If I could redo this image I’d get significantly closer to the water, probably cut this in half.

Specific Feedback Requested

Always interested in the processing, tones, contrast, color, saturation etc.

Technical Details

2 Likes

Hi David, I like both of the images although i think i like the more dramatic recent image best. The stones make for an interesting foreground. I live in Michigan and I am always suprised at how much the coast of Lake Superior looks like the Atlantic Coast in the Northeast.

Great image. Both edits are excellent. The first is definitely “WOW” . Kudos to you.

Man, this is classic Boulder Beach at its finest! You did a great job, capturing this, especially getting low to the ground and having those boulders really big in the bottom of the frame!

DW!!!

DANG! Big difference! The reprocessed image looks and feels more refined! You definitely were taking your notes during our session :wink: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
The only thing I would suggest is to bring those mid tones down! You bring those mid tones down, and get that contrast going…BAM!!! It will make this scene nice and moody with a punch of nice natural looking color! This is NICE! I’ll attach the file with that one adjustment and a slight vignette added.

DT

Beautiful! I love the richness and clarity in the foreground rocks in he newer image. I also love the clarity on the right side around the rock in the water. A very beautiful image!

@Cameron_Wilcox Thank you for the kind words!It is amazing how features like this can repeat in other places, makes you wonder about the long term weather patterns and geological structures at play.

@Mozzam_Hosein Thank you, much appreciated!

@David_Johnston High praise my man, much appreciated!

@David_Thompson I like the update. Shadows are something I struggle a bit with. How dark is too dark…how to get some detail in there and have a nice rolloff from the midtones to the shadows so it isn’t a harsh transition. Thank you for taking the time to do this, supper appreciative!

1 Like

DW

with shadows…just pay attention to the light. Soft light…less contrasted shadows, with plenty of detail, Side light…darker shadows, with detail, backlit, darker shadows, not black, unless it’s like completely dark out, but dark shadows with detail, not black.
Let the light dictate how your shadows look…make it make sense

What a dramatic and beautiful scene!! I like the drama @David_Thompson added, but think I like the inclusion of more sky as in the original edit, with the dramatic sweep of the clouds. I think the two bright rocks on the left edge could be disappeared. In that case, maybe there is just a tweak more canvas there, to give the larger tree a bit of breathing room – just a bit. (I do like it’s being close to the edge, as it frames the sweep of the mid-ground so nicely.

There is something lovely about the soft colors in the original version, and I’m wondering if that could be incorporated into the more dramatic version, with the drama limited more to the center and the softer, cooler colors used as a vignette.

In any case – it’s classic beauty!!

I had to play – here’s a rough idea – the white edge is because the two layers didn’t quite line up.