Agapanthus in Opening Stages

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Same Agapanthus, but it is beginning to open. Shot using my house as the BG and not the yard as with the first one.

Specific Feedback

I am still in the process of learning to shoot the Z7 II, so experimenting with DoF. Does this focus range work for you?
I did leave the right side extended flower a bit on the bright side so it would stand out from the BG. The whites are not blown.

Technical Details

Z7 II, 100-400 @400mm, f/6.3, ISO 500, 1/4000 +.67 EV (I had been shooting butterflies earlier)

Other than general ACR adjustments, I only did a TK soft Pop at 47%.

Interesting - I didn’t know they’d be kind of stripey when blossomed. In terms of focus point, this works because the open flowers are sharp and that’s the real interest here, although it looks like the one sort of facing on the right is sharper than the one facing more forward on the left. Tough to do with shallow DOF and sometimes you just pick your target and go with it. I prefer the green background over your house. The house makes it look more artificial and static. I like the soft pop action - it’s a nice finishing touch to many photos.

1 Like