Alpenglow on Matterhorn

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Had to deal with a little color banding. May have pushed the pixels a little too much in the sky?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any feedback is welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Single shot with a Canon 17mm Tilt-Shift lens, 1/5 sec @ F/20, ISO 100.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

dougbluntphotos

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Hi @Doug_Blunt.
Amazing scenery. The light throughout the hole image is great. I don’t think the sky is too much, I do think the mountain peak its a bit to bright for me, it is the main subject but it draws to much attention and it makes the eye not see many other interesting details of this image such as the FG bush or that rock mimicking the mountains.
I would also crop or reframe the shot to center the mountains the rock and the bush straight in the middle line of the frame. Seams a bit off to the right to me but I may be wrong.
Still, great image and thanks for sharing.
Cheers

Thanks Joao. Interesting thoughts. I agree with the brightness of the mountain. Probably should be a little dimmer for that moment. You may be right about the off-centeredness re: visual weight, although I must confess, it’s very hard for me to see. I appreciate your taking the time to comment!

1 Like

Doug,

I think this is an excellent near/far composition with many wonderful elements to explore. Off the top, the last light on the peak and the warm to cool transition and mix of colors throughout are wonderful as well.

In the large view the color gradation in the sky is quite beautiful! If I look really hard in the largest view I suppose I can detect some banding, but it’s hardly worth noting. For the most part it’s likely due to compressing for web sizing.

I think it’s fairly clear your deliberate choice of positioning. At least to me, lining up the midground rock that not surprisingly - echoes the Matterhorn. Excellent!

While there appears to be a distinct cyan color in the rock in the lower half, I think it works very well contrasted with the rusty color of the bush and other plants and rocks scattered around. There is some GREAT colors and details in those rocks - something that perhaps could be explored separately… :wink:

Overall, this came out quite beautifully.

Lon

The shrubs make a nice leading line through the rocks to the exclamation point of the glow on the mountain top. A lot of detail to explore throughout the image. My only suggestion would be to adjust some of the blue or cyan color in the rocks.

Hi Doug,
this is a very nice image, I like the composition in portrait format, with the bush in the foreground and the rock in the midground, which has a similar shape as the Matterhorn in the back. Very well chosen! What I would try to improve is the area to the right side of the bush in the foreground. It looks like you have used a clone stamp to remove something (?), but the repeated patterns are a bit too obvious. Otherwise a beautiful scene and nice light on the Matterhorn!

Wow, I am so glad to be on this site!! The commentary is excellent. Things are being pointed out correctly…things that I completely overlooked. Makes me want to do better with such accurate commentary. Thanks All!