Alvord Tracks

I have many images of open spaces, but today, this one felt right. I have a print of this above my sofa, but I wouldn’t mind improving upon that as well.

Taken on the Alvord Desert in Southeastern Oregon in September. These are our own tracks, looking back from the edge of the flats.

This certainly fits the definition of wide open spaces, Marylnne. The blue/gold combination of colors work beautifully and the tire tracks make for some wonderful leading lines to draw me into the scene. The clouds are also a nice touch. I do not know if you are so inclined, but I think I would clone out those three rocks just to clean up the scene. Either way this is lovely.

Marylynne, the land/sky color combination and the cracked ground work very well, as does the faint track leading into the distance. The sense of space is great as the far off mountains blending into the sky adds to the feeling that it’s a long way to the mountains. While removing those three rocks makes a “cleaner” picture, I think that add an extra bit of intrigue to the story. I really don’t see how to improve this.

Thanks for the feedback Mark and Ed. There were four rocks, and I cloned out one (I like threes more than even numbers). It would be easy to remove the remaining three, so I’m interested in everyone’s thoughts on that.
ML

Beautiful colors and textures. I like the three rocks. They balance the hills on the left; I think if you got rid of them, it would be unbalanced.

Marylynne,

Love the blue-gold color combo here. A beautiful and complimentary sky only surpassed by the expanse and “open spaces” view of the playa.

The rocks? I like them included. They providing an interesting story telling element that makes me think of the rocks on the Race Track in DV. Do those rocks have tracks? :wink: :thinking: :sunglasses:

Well done. Great entry to the WC.

Lon

Thanks Bonnie and Lon.

I haven’t seen these rocks with tracks of their own, but I suppose it is possible during some seasons. I think the key elements are a) moisture content on the playa and b) wind strong enough to push rocks. I tend to go here in Summer or Fall (it’s a long way from Portland!), and by then, it’s too dry for tracks.
ML

Very exciting color in this image. I like the leading lines and the graphic evaporation cracks in the sand or mud. The rocks are fine. Well done.

very beautiful, Marylynne. I’ve been by there a few times but never gotten this intimate with it. I like the color treatment and here’s another vote for keeping the rocks.

A beautiful and colorful wide open scene, Marylynne! There’s a lot of distance in this scene and the fading tracks exemplify it. The cracks in the soil add some very interesting texture and interest for the foreground and the rocks spark some curiosity which makes it more interesting for me. They also balance the mountains on the upper left so I would definitely leave them in.