An all-seeking photographer

Hi peeps -

I’ve been noodling around the site for a bit, wondering if I should join and what I want to get out of this. Photo sharing and discussion sites have come and gone for me over the years, but my need to shoot has only gotten worse. I guess what made me do the trial was the critique. A person can stagnate after a while right? A recent photo workshop opened my eyes to this and so I’m trying new things.

The title of this post means that I’m not what I call a Big Game Photographer - the one out for the trophy shot only. Oh sure, I’ll bag me a big one when I can, but then I hope I can keep looking for the subtle, the small, the strange. Those images are often the best ones.

Anyway…I’ll shut up now. Here’s a recent shot that I was privileged to be able to get. It’s an ermine (short-tailed weasel) that was zipping between the safety of a brush pile and the yummy carcass of a dead turkey. It was my first time photographing these energetic little wonders. Hopefully not my last.

3 Likes

Welcome aboard Kristen - I’ve gotten a lot of great advice from the forum members that helps me look at the scene in different ways. Love your shot of the Ermin - we have a Mink that works its way along the creek behind the house but have never had camera in hand when the time is right; one of these days maybe. Looking forward to seeing more of your images.

Kristen, welcome to NPN. I have enjoyed this site for a few years now. Some of the photographers are professionals who are willing to help me improve my photography, so that when I get out there the next time I can remember some of their advice and get an even better shot. Some are like me, just amateurs willing to try to share what they have learned to help another photographer along the way. To me, this site isn’t just another “show and tell”, getting feel good comments all the time. I have been on a few of those as well. This site, to me, is a great resource of all levels of photography, that has helped me along the way. Under Learning, at the top, you will find all kinds of resources that you can read and watch as well as learning from others critiques. I hope you find it to be all you are looking for and decide to sign on as a full member. Looking forward to more of your photos and your comments on my images and others’ as well. Happy shooting!

2 Likes

Thanks for the nice welcome. Remembering new techniques and ways of setting up are my challenge. I’m thinking about putting reminders in the phone and setting them up when I’m in the field. Say at the beginning of my session, an hour in and so forth.

I’m heading to the macro area…another LOVE of mine!

Good idea to have notes with you. I’m so glad to hear that macro is another love of yours! I really like that category as it shows details of creation that I just can’t see by just looking at it. But bring that macro image up on a large screen, and I am amazed at what I see. Looking forward to seeing your images in macro too.

1 Like

Welcome, Kristen. Well, that guy is about as cute as he can be! Nice job of shooting through all the environment, and handling all the whites. Hope you have fun and learn a lot on the site; I certainly have.

1 Like

Thanks Terry. Weasels are 11s on the cuteness scale for sure.

1 Like

Wow! You’re so lucky to see a wild animal like this! It’s beautiful! Great capture!

1 Like

Thanks Vanessa - it was totally serendipity. And bravery on the weasel’s part.

Great shot Kristen! Hope you enjoy NPN.

1 Like

Hey @Kris_Smith and welcome to NPN.
Such a cute little fellow. Can’t wait to see more images and some macros.
Cheers

1 Like