An Untamed State

It’s a wonder I didn’t fall flat on my face because of turning to see this view while trying to hike. It’s in the Bridger-Teton National Forest which I think gets overlooked when the main park road is open. Surely we wouldn’t have ventured here had it been. Kind of makes me glad it wasn’t. Plus we found a moose skeleton. Or possibly elk. With the head missing we couldn’t tell. And we avoided the crabby bear a sign warning us about.

Specific Feedback Requested

I played with different crops, but settled on this one. Should I lose more sky? I like the width.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Handheld while trying not to fall over myself.

Lr for initial RAW work including the crop, texture and contrast. Some sharpening, nr & lens correction. The usual management for tonalities. Photoshop for a lot of masking with the TK8 panel - to isolate particular colors and shades to do some sculpting in the rock, trees and sky.

2 Likes

Great example of primary colors, Kris. Personally, love the composition, with the foreground, mid and background all balancing each other well. So, no, I wouldn’t crop the sky at all. Nice capture.

Firstly, you’ve managed a very good range of primary colours. It’s an image that makes me want to see what lays a bit beyond the trees. Maybe a gorge?

The crop works fine for me, but I might consider just a sliver off the top?

Thanks @linda_mellor & @glennie - it was a pretty amazing day to be in Wyoming.

Beyond the trees is more forest and … possibly a river, but I can’t recall. So I looked through my catalog and yes, there is a river, but not a gorge. Maybe I’ll see what I can pull from there that’s worthy of looking at.

1 Like

Kris, this is a fine mix of red rocks, green trees and blue sky (with a few extras), driving around yesterday looking for possibilities, I was think fresh green fields, a blue sky and a red barn, but you’ve found a fine natural substitute for a red barn. This crop works fine.