AT Peace

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

My photo goes with my story. I decided to post it here on Easter

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

This is dedicated to one of my best friends. A guitar brother… a great human being… Ken had developed Lung Cancer In October 2021… In December I had to dress him and put him in an ambulance for Hospice. On December 23 I was out shooting trying to find something at the park. I started leaving the park and I turned and saw the shot. I just felt this was right. I got back in my truck and got a call that my friend Ken had just passed away. I went home and looked at the phtos and saw this shot. I edited some and sent it to my friend Bill ( a great photographer) told him the story and he gave me the title “At Peace” Sometimes the photography we shoot can really say something even though it may not be a great photo technically… This is a spiritual photo i guess. Just wanted to share and have this in my portfolio …

Technical Details

ISO 600 … 80 shutter… f14 or 16

Specific Feedback

The message !!!

My initial reaction is not one of peacefulness but of dread. I think that’s due to the overwhelming amount of black in the image. I do, however, understand how one might consider this to be peaceful. When the sun sets and darkness comes there is a peaceful sense to nature. The peace at dusk. So I think that the time of capture was one of peacefulness but the composition used conveys dread. Others may see it differently.

Dread. Yes. It’s been over a year of dread.

Thanks for shooting interest. :earth_americas::pray::earth_americas:

Hi Gill, I could see myself camping on the bank here and sitting at a campfire watching the sun go down. I think the blues in the water and maybe the sky are a little to saturated and dark, but if you were trying to make them dramatic then you succeeded. I really like the scene. Nicely seen.

Yes. I made them dramatic. I felt it needed the color with the dark tree. Photo of emotions.

Thanks.

This is a wonderful photo. The emotional content of it reminds me of the last pages of a story by James Joyce called “The Dead”. The protagonist, a woman, leaves a winter party for a moment and is standing outside. It is cold and dark and snowing. She is thinking about her past, lost love, and the death of someone who loved her, and how the falling snow covers every thing, the living and the dead. Your image is full of life: the beautiful colors, the ripples, the growth on the tree, but as Igor suggested, is dark and foreboding. Life and death, together, as always. Well done.

Thanks for showing interest :camera_flash::camera_flash: