At the End of the Day

Hi Folks,
This is one of the best photographs I took on Day 1 of the Out of Oregon Photography Workshop last week. I have several of this scene without the fellow photographer in the frame, but this one works best in my opinion, in part because of the human element.

I believe this was Strawberry Hill, where the beach turned amazing colors as the day came to a close.

Specific Feedback Requested

Does this image work for you?

Are the colors vibrant enough? I’ve got a tendency to “under-develop” landscape images, and this didn’t get a whole lot of processing in part because it didn’t need much. Dynamic range had narrowed, colors popped on their own.

Are there hot spots I should deal with?

Does the composition work? It’s not quite 50/50, which I’ve been know to use in reflections, but I wanted to draw the eye to the figure by putting her off-center a bit.

Technical Details

Canon 5d3 with 24-105mm at 24, ISO 160, f/13, 1/13th sec (yeah, she was pretty still)

2 Likes

Wow; this is a bit incongruous with the thoughts you posted in Landscape. :wink: This is fantastic!

This one works very well for me. That’s an amazing sky, and the vibrant reflection below so attractively leads the eye into the scene. I love that there is just a touch of shore in the image.

This would be very good without the photographer, but totally agree that it makes this image so much better.

Colors are great, and I think it was a wise choice not to fool with them too much. No hot spots that bug me; I love the dynamic range in the image.

I think the comp is just right. This is one of those cool images where you have a great 2:3, and it also looks just as good cropped to a 3:4.

Nicely done!

1 Like

Hi Marylynne! Wow! What wonderful light you captured here. I agree with John’s comments. Everything works really well, and I agree the image is much better with the photographer. Very well done!

1 Like

Thanks, John and Steve. I’m glad you like it.

@John_Williams John: The incongruity probably comes from how little thought I gave to this image and how much thought and time I gave to the one in Landscape. I saw this and shot it. I was feeling the color, the reflections, and she just walked into the frame. The one in landscape, I think I approached too scientifically. Might not have been feeling it, and both the light and composition were not obvious to work with. Here, it all came together pretty intuitively.

I don’t usually like a vertical 2x3, but in this case, it fit the epehemeral nature of the moment, the sort of “second coming sky” effect. I like how it sort of transports us into the sky.

Thanks for appreciating the moment!
ML

I really like this, Marylynne. I think the sky deserves the extra space in this one and by cutting off the bottom where the color is pretty uniform you make a nice base for the image.

I’m not sure if Landscape is allowing people in the photograph, so I’m going to move this to non-nature for now. People and Fauna is designated for domestic animals or wild animals in a distinctly human modified environment. People are allowed, but only accompanied by other animals.

1 Like

Thanks Dennis. I was thinking this was people or fauna in nature. I wasn’t sure where it belonged, just figured it had a place here somewhere.

ML

A dazzling photo. I might prefer to see it without any people too,

1 Like

I don’t have this comp without a person. I took a horizontal one without a human element, but it has less interesting lines of sand and lacks that airy top.

ML

Marylynne, somehow, I missed this image. Wow, it is sensational. Love the photographer in the scene as it gives a sense of space and size. The colors are spectacular. Awesome image all around.

1 Like

Thanks David. I had it in People/Fauna because I forgot where to post human element photos :crazy_face:.

I love the color and the line of sand separating the photographer from the reflection. This is one of those “saw it and got it” moments.

1 Like